Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A suggestion about migrant moral  (Read 763 times)

Antlia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A suggestion about migrant moral
« on: July 27, 2008, 06:31:41 am »

I suggest that if your fortress was a hellhole, some migrants, who don't take pressure very well, would leave whit the new caravan. None of the seven founders could leave, nor those who don't crack easily under pressure, but those who don't belong to those two groups would leave if:

1. Lot of dwarves die in sieges = you have a poor defence
2. They don't get alcohol (this would only be a problem to those who need it the most)
3. If the temperature was too extreme (dwarves would have a trait that tells, how well they could keep on in the heat)
4. Other nasty, continuous things.

And when they've really get enough, they stop working and then leave wih the caravan, when it leaves.

Sorry, that my english isn't too good, but I hope that I made my point clear. Ask more details if needed.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion about migrant moral
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 06:44:10 am »

Your English is readable, better than some anyway  ;)

Yes, this could be interesting, but I see problems, especially in Sinister Tundra:

Urist McHawaiiDwarf: Bah! It's too cold!
Urist McDrunkDwarf: The beer is frozen!
Urist McElfyDwarf: Peace dude! Zombies are people t- GAH! *Splorch*

However, this could also effect as a survival of the fittest thing, we have [ColdImmune][Reckless][NoBeer] races of dwarves... cool. Except for the beer part. No Beer+Dwarf=Tantrum=Fort go kablooey!  :)
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 10:58:27 am »

Letting unhappy immigrants emigrate?
As long as they won't leave if they have been there a couple (3-5ish) of years.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

Emigrations a frequent suggestion, anything to help shuffle dwarfs around more (when we're killing immigrants as a matter of routine, that bit needs work).

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 12:35:25 pm »

I think the army arc will solve this issue quite nicely. Eventually we'll be able to interact with other settlements in the world, such as sending armies to go visit...  ;D

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 09:47:26 pm »

That could open the way to a new challenge...

The Dwarven Recruitment Station Challenge
You and your six administrative assistants will dig out a self-sufficient kiosk in the area. New recruits will arrive, procure their basic weapons (crossbows and wood bolts, but metal weapons and armor a plus), and be sent out to battle immediately. You may keep the occasional veteran or metalworker on hand only if it directly helps your recruits gain a fighting chance (i.e. keeping the road open and outfitting them properly.)