Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Kingdom ruled by Elven heir.  (Read 1486 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Dwarven Kingdom ruled by Elven heir.
« on: July 27, 2008, 06:56:35 pm »

I started a fort with the civ on the map that was at war with the goblins, made my fort, and played for a bit. Then I happened to be looking at the civs and noticed that the dwarven king was in fact an ELF!

I abandoned and checked legends and noted that the dwarves had just finished conquering the elves before they attacked the goblins, and in the first goblin fight the dwarven king was killed. The king had no children, and the son of the former elf leader from the conquered tree city moved to the capital and became king.

Thats the way to conquer a kingdom - let them beat you, then have your son take over as the king when they're busy fighting goblins. The funny thing is the dwarven kingdom is pretty large, they own 5 mountain halls and the one forest retreat, so the elves had no chance of conquering them any other way.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Kingdom ruled by Elven heir.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 06:59:29 pm »

Kill him in adventure mode.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 07:27:34 pm »

Kill him in adventure mode.

Not just that, be sure to make it long and painful.

Watch out for his razor-like teeth, though.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 08:49:09 pm »

I had almost the same thing happen to my kingdom, except the elves had conquered the capitol of my civilization but not all outlying towns. I made myself a dwarven colony in the half-conquered civilization, completely unaware an elven king and his liberated slave-wife had been installed to rule over us. Armies of elves came to conquer us, and migrants continued to pour in, I suppose refugees?

Anyway, I succumed to an invasion on that fort and reclaimed it with a different nation. Now I'm in boring old goblin fights, but with armies of speardwarves trained up on wooden weapons. No sparring deaths, yay!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 09:06:08 pm »

I'd suggest a more brutal route.

Bring a cutting weapon. Sword if you can manage, or axe if you want to. Whichever limb you happen to cut off first, us it to beat the fellow to death with. If possible, wield a limb in each hand.

If you are done at this point, good. I like that enthusiasm. Now, drink the pansy's blood off his limbs.

If you aren't quite done yet, ensure that this will never again happen in that world. Butcher any elf with the memory of their conquest of the dwarven nation through submission. Which is, to say, all of them. They have good memories, you see?

The good dwarves will consider you a criminal, but it will be for them. Let them realize with time.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 09:16:14 pm »

I wonder...  If you were to reach the requirements needed for a king, would the elf come?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 09:43:21 pm »

This demands exploration.  Care to share the seed Paul?

Imagine an elf dressing as a peasant and trying to look incognito in a dwarven fortress...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 10:14:48 pm »

The elf would probably come just like any other king. It'd be odd to have an elf in your control as the king... Do the king/queen have children? If they do you could have a combination dwarf/elf fort.

I didn't think to save the history seed, though. I regenned the world with a diff history seed because I didn't like being ruled by elves. Sorry :D, but I'm sure with a little looking you can find a similar situation. Just find any map where elves are at war with dwarves, and gen to a high year. Then look for a situation where the dwarves have control of forest retreats, and check the history for kings being replaced. If they're at war a lot many kings will die and be replaced, and sooner or later one will probably be an elf (since elves are in the kingdom due to conquest of forest retreats).

I like my new history better anyway. Now im in a dwarven civ led by a dwarven queen who has killed a demon (the leader of the goblin civ which it is at war with) and 28 assorted goblins and dwarves, along with maiming a big list of creatures (ripping nose off, tearing limbs off, etc). She's a real badass with a name that goes so far across the screen in legends you can't see the translation until you get more details. Plus the civ is at war with the goblins that happen to be the closest to my fort site with flux/magma/cave river/cave lake/chasm/HFS. The funny thing is, she's now living in the dark fortress that belonged to the demon she killed.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 12:01:42 am »

I have a world with a fairly loaded 3x5 site with a large dwarven civ ruled by an elven queen. The civ has 685 dwarves and 290 elves as citizens, and owns several forest retreats.
Here's the world gen setup if you're interested:

Code: [Select]
Created in DF v0.28.181.39e.

[WORLD_GEN]
    [TITLE:Bokosmlo]
    [SEED:3232468226]
    [HISTORY_SEED:1462025032]
    [NAME_SEED:2686278732]
    [DIM:257:257]
    [END_YEAR:310]
    [BEAST_END_YEAR:300:80]
    [REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
    [CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
    [ELEVATION:1:400:800:800]
    [RAINFALL:5:100:200:200]
    [TEMPERATURE:35:75:200:200]
    [DRAINAGE:0:100:200:200]
    [VOLCANISM:0:100:400:400]
    [SAVAGERY:0:100:200:200]
    [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:5:3:1:5:7]
    [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:5:3:1]
    [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:500:1:1:1:1000]
    [GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:25:251:503]
    [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:100:1000:2000]
    [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:1]
    [OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:1]
    [VOLCANO_MIN:160]
    [REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:300:1:1]
    [REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:100:1:1]
    [REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:1040:3:3]
    [REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:3120:2:2]
    [REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:2080:1:1]
    [REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:2080:3:3]
    [REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:2080:3:3]
    [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:200]
    [RIVER_MINS:500:500]
    [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
    [OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
    [SUBREGION_MAX:5000]
    [CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
    [CAVE_MAX_SIZE:50]
    [MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:100]
    [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:300]
    [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:1]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
    [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:20]
    [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:20000]
    [PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
    [ELEVATION_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
    [RAIN_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
    [DRAINAGE_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
    [SAVAGERY_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
    [VOLCANISM_RANGES:2080:0:4160]

The dwarven civ in question is "The Fence of Sounding". I set it above to stop in the year 310, which should result in war between that civ and an elven civ. The war only lasted a couple of years, and world gen otherwise ends a single year later with the war just ended.

As for the good site in this world:

Includes an underground magma pipe, hidden fun stuff, a brook, plenty of trees, a layer of chalk flux, iron (hematite and magnetite), coal of all types, and a layer of soil for easy farming. No sand, unfortunately.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 06:09:31 am »

I wonder...  If you were to reach the requirements needed for a king, would the elf come?

Yes, this happened to me. He comes, but stays at the edge of the map. He was in my first immigrant wave, after i struck adamantine early.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:55:41 pm »

I have generated plenty of human civs with elven rulers. Appears to happen when humans take slaves and then die off from old age and wars.