Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mouses, keyboards, and gamepads, oh my!  (Read 2940 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Mouses, keyboards, and gamepads, oh my!
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:55:05 pm »

I was sitting here, complaining about how small my mouse was, when suddenly it occurred to me to ask you peoples if you knew of any larger-than-average mouses (I have large hands,) which led me to considering what keyboards you all use for playing DWAAARF FORTRESS, which in turn led me to thinking about what, if any, gamepads and joysticks could be used to play it. Anybody have any ideas or recommendations?

EDIT: Corrected myself. MICE IS NOT PLURAL FOR COMPUTER MOUSE.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:56:54 pm by Reasonableman »
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Mouses, keyboards, and gamepads, oh my!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:59:49 pm »

My mouse is big and white, and it's irritating beyond belief.  I've nearly killed myself over this mouse.  It has a mouse-wheel, but over the years something's gone wrong with it.  Horribly, horribly wrong.  At random times(Read, when I really need to keep my current weapon equipped in an FPS, or when I'm trying to read something important on a scrolling document) it will twitch up and down spasmodically.  I've watched it, and the wheel doesn't move, but I start switching weapons, scrolling oddly, all kinds of stuff.  It's gotten me killed in games before.
Shoes...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:13:14 pm »

My mouse is a thumb-ball,uses a laser(or maybe a motion sensor,but probably a laser),and has a set of 5 buttons,which is a boon in FPS games,has a mouse wheel(which is button #3),on occasion when I click the screen moves down a notch,much like Cthulhu's mouse,but only once in a while and no where near as bad,has gotten me killed in the odd occasion where I DON'T want to switch to my pea shooter.

It is black and the ball glows red when there is user input.It fits my hand perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:15:06 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:23:12 pm »

I sometimes have the same trouble with phantom wheeling.  But I've got a mousewheel that has a few of its inner notches worn down, so it doesn't fit into place quite as firmly as before.

Aside from that, it's a simple white, wired laser mouse.  It has five buttons including the mousewheel, and is exceptionally filthy.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:01:50 pm »

If you have a bit of money to spend I recommend the Logitech G9 Gaming mouse. It has interchangeable grips to suit any size hand, adjustable sensitivity from 200-3200 dpi, a weight tunable cartridge and much more. It is probably the best gaming mouse out there and will give you the edge in any type of game.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:49:31 pm »

I've been using one of these for several years now. Works pretty well, though it requires moisture of some kind to properly make contact with the charging base.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 03:51:02 am »

I use a logitech wireless keyboard + mouse combo. Lots of nifty buttons that I never use except for two on the mouse. They sit where the thumb usually rests and I use them as "back" and "forward". Very nifty. Having two keyboards is also useful too for when friends come over and you load up those old split screen games.

Typing of the Dead with two people and two keyboards is awesome fun.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 12:02:13 pm »

I got just a standard laser mouse with no clicky buttons, its like all smooth and streamlined... y'know one bit of plastic and a black keyboard. Which does keep lime scale and ground in dirt all hidden thankfully.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 12:06:55 pm »

I have a laser mouse after my old white one stopped being as reliable as it once was. It has these two side buttons which you can't map key bindings to in games, so I hate them.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 02:51:07 pm »

My brother and dad use the Logitech keyboard/mouse thing too.  The problem is they're both really messy.  If you shake the keyboard upside down specks of chewing tobacco fall out, the mouse is greasy, and it's overall disgusting.  I keep my keyboard/mouse much cleaner, except now that I look at it the Insert-Page Down block has a lot of dust between the keys.
Shoes...

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 10:59:53 am »

When I set up this desktop computer I bought the cheapest laser mouse they have (works perfectly, I have the sensitivity fairly high) and a thin keyboard that has keys like a laptop one. Both together cost £20 I think.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 01:08:24 pm »

MX1000 Mouse and G15 Keyboard (Macro-ing made the repetitive wall building of a few builds back not so bad)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Cymro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 01:53:23 pm »

I have a basic logitech internet keyboard, because more buttons = more chance of accidentally hitting or pushing something, resulting in hilarity and/or death. I've got my eye on this mouse in my workplace, as it's more chunky and useable than the microscopic ones you can get nowadays.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 07:20:58 am »

I've got an Osbourne keyboard which is (as I notice now) DISGUSTING. I mean its BEIGE with dirt and age... Health hazard level disgusting. :o

It works though  :)

My mouse is a 3-button thing with a mousewheel and the word "Belkin" plastered on it. And it's got dirtmarks. That is squishy. That I can rub off with my fingers. And it covers a large section of the left mouse button. Ew. Rubbing that off now.

I assure you. DO NOT get ancient stuff like mine.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:23:27 am by Coke_Can64 »
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity