Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [EMBARK_WARNING_ALWAYS:ALWAYS]  (Read 1380 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[EMBARK_WARNING_ALWAYS:ALWAYS]
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:56:02 am »

This is supposed to be like the reveal utility, yes? I set the (above) to always; but am not seeing any of the features in the local view. Anyone know whats going on?

Edit: I mean regional prospector. You know what I mean.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:08:54 am by lastofthelight »

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: [EMBARK_WARNING_ALWAYS:ALWAYS]
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 02:57:17 am »

That is just there so if it's on it'll ask you if you're sure whenever you try to embark, it has NOTHING to do with reveal. Hope that helps, and that I understood the question.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:13:57 am »

the things you are looking for are slightly lower, and are set by feature.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:27:07 am »

Embark warning just does what it says, warn you about embarking (so you need to give extra confirmation, as in "Yes, i really really reeeeaaaally like to embark here please"), imo its quite annoying really, but the more choices you have for changing those little things, the better.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:15:19 am »

That option is from the embark key just being 'e'. In the older versions if you just happened to hit 'e' on any of the screens before you were done preparing... well you were screwed. I always changed it in the keys to 'E'  before this was available.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 02:05:53 pm »

Thanks guys.

Has anyone noticed that when they get the (show everything in the local menu) working, it seems to show alot less features then Regional Prospector did?

I just generated 6 large,  40% volcano, mostly glacial worlds, and I've yet to see any volcanic tubes or chambers in anything other then a mountain/hill terrain, but from Regional, I /know/ that happens.

Heck, I'm not even seeing as many 'hidden' features in the hills/mountains as I used too.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 06:59:12 pm »

Thanks guys.

Has anyone noticed that when they get the (show everything in the local menu) working, it seems to show alot less features then Regional Prospector did?

I just generated 6 large,  40% volcano, mostly glacial worlds, and I've yet to see any volcanic tubes or chambers in anything other then a mountain/hill terrain, but from Regional, I /know/ that happens.

Heck, I'm not even seeing as many 'hidden' features in the hills/mountains as I used too.
somone should check that out... its scaring me.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 07:24:52 pm »

Yes i noticed it too, atleast how it seems i can't find any glacier with volcanic activity yet. Strange
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 07:49:12 pm »

Maybe you aren't generating worlds with the right parameters?

My world is littered with volcanoes and magma pipes/pools. I actually have a spot with 20 named volcanoes in a giant cluster with very little space between them.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 08:03:29 pm »

I still see a similar amount of features previewed as in 38c with prospector. If you can't find the perfect site, just generate another map. Natural magma pipes/vents were always hard to come by often. Best places to look are areas around volcanoes, just scan through. I would have loads of mountains made of dolomite, and flint, etc, but hardly any of felsite or the other dark stones.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 02:43:53 am »

Alright, so; I have a feeling that merely increasing the number of Volcanos in the world doesn't increase the number of magma tubes; I'm not sure exactly why this is so, but as far as I can tell, though I've been artificially pumping up the number of volcanos, it doesn't seem to have increased what I really want (underground lava in enough quantities that one will end up on the shoreline of an ocean and a glacier)

I'm now agreeing with yggiz that the natural magma pipes/vents are in fact being shown in accurate levels (because I'm on my 15th generated world with 40 volcanos minimum and a large number of glaciers) - and while I did just manage to put volcanos into a glacial environment, I'm still not seeing very many natural pipes.

On the bright side: It appears that Toady's Regional Prospector Ripoff (slight joke in there) works fine...

On the unbright side, contrary to what yggiz said, I never, ever had a trouble finding these things anywhere I wanted before, and I am definately, definately going to say they are much more rare.

And thus, am seeing if anyone knows how to increase their frequency.  I see something about volcanism frequency in the worldgen. Anyone know what that does? Might have something to do with it.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 06:31:07 pm »

What I did to increase volcanism was to set volcanism minimum to 20 and the variance to 1600. From my experience the variance is the key factor in getting pipes in good areas (like next to flux or randomly along a non volcanic area) as it allows the level of volcanism to vary more between areas. I get tons and tons of pipes all over the place with my world settings.

If you're curious, heres the world params I gen my worlds with:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Using these settings I get pretty balanced worlds with lots of good starting sites. I've used it to search for small 3x3 or 4x4 sites with flux, cave river, magma pipe, and sand. Every single world I've generated has had at least one area with all of the above, and some of them have multiple locations (if you initiate the site finder from different parts of the map, it finds different sites - sometimes it can even miss a good site and show none available at one spot and find one from another spot, searching from all 4 corners can usually dig up something if you're not finding it the first time).

[VOLCANISM:20:100:1600:1600] seems to help gen tons of magma pipes, and it might be coincidence but after I put [RAINFALL:0:100:1600:1600] I noticed a lot more flux and sand next to volcanic areas.
Also [TEMPERATURE:45:55:200:200] sets the world to a stable temperature (ranging from warm to cold, no extremes) and makes more of the world liveable.

I tinkered with most of the settings (if you look I'm sure you'll spot lots of little changes) but I think those three are the ones that have had the most effect.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link