Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: refuse stockpiles inside and trade depots inside  (Read 680 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
refuse stockpiles inside and trade depots inside
« on: July 27, 2008, 11:08:49 am »

hello im bretty new to DF and this is just my 4th fortress,anyway lets get to the point.

1.i read from somewhere in the wiki that you can make a refuse stockpile inside aslong as it has a door,well i have two doors like this:

ww
dd
ww

so im wondering if they have to be locked or they can be opened and still no miarma will happen.

2.i want to build a trade depot inside to have less risk of thieves to steal the things i have but up for trading.if inside do i have to make 3 squares wide roads to every corner of the map and build ramps there?or is it other way.

please help me as i dont know what do do about them.

(sorry for my bad english its not my native language)
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: refuse stockpiles inside and trade depots inside
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 11:12:08 am »

Miasma can go through 2 doors before its stopped. Simply build two doors, one right after the other, and it'll stop miasma. Alternatively, miasma does not travel diagonally, so you can use creative construction with walls to block it.

As for trade depots, you can go ahead and build it outside. Caravans bring their own guards...except for the elf caravans, but the elf caravans don't actually bring anything worth trading for anyways. The guards will make very short work of any thieves.

Also, trade depot access is calculated from the depot to the edge of the map, not from the edge of the map to the depot. Build the depot anywhere you like then clear a single path to the edge of the map. Wagons will use that road every time.

TheBoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:15:22 am »

Also: the merchants don't need roads to access your depot, merely a path (being an area that doesn't have a tree etc.) on it to access the depot. Seen as it's advisable to have corridors of width 3 in your fortress anyway, this shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you want a door to your fortress, to stop nasty people getting in, you can make wall grids and link them to a lever: because they don't need adjacent walls, you can build as many as you want in a line.

edited for correctness
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:19:45 am by TheBoff »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 11:16:31 am »

thx that helped alot,im gonna build a temporary trade depot outside and when i have more stone ill make it inside.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 11:19:03 am »

A road is advisable however. For rocky areas you need to smooth over all the boulders anyways, might as well make a nice looking road of smoothed rock while you're at it.

For areas with trees, building a road prevents trees from regrowing and blocking wagons. You can simply keep your woodcutters busy, but if you forget to keep the trees trimmed you could lose a caravan.

In a badlands biome it doesn't much matter since its almost completely devoid of life anyways. Its just flat, smooth soil with no need to smooth or build roads through a forest.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 11:39:34 am »

well you see,heh i kinda accidentaly took the war hammer instead of the war axe so my woodcutter is a hauler and a carpender at the moment.also i have a coffer in the furnitse stocks but im making a room for the fortresses leader and and how can i place a coffer in the room?

Anu Necunoscut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 12:23:13 pm »

Hit "b" to access the build menu, then hit "h" to build a container.  Select the coffer from the list of available containers and place it.  Be careful not to place a bag by accident.  :-D

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 06:02:55 pm »

One method I have found useful is to have access to your fortress controlled by two bridges.

Bridge (left open)
Trade Depot
Bridge (left closed)
Fortress

That way, when the caravan arrives it won't bypass your inaccessible depot. Once it is at the depot, flip the bridges and bring out your trade goods. Trade, move the stuff inside and then flip the bridges again.

In practice I find that I sometimes need both bridges to be down, so that my dwarves can empty the trade depot while the caravan itself leaves, but it certainly reduces the exposure to thieves.

Code: [Select]
==#
== #
==#
An indoor refuse pile like this will block all miasma. I find that miasma can go through doors that are open from dwarves walking through, so double doors don't always work. Using a diagonal entrance to the room does always work.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 06:18:03 pm »

My preferred miasma solution (which I didn't invent--I saw it in another post here long ago) goes like this:

Code: [Select]
#########
#=#=#=#=#
#+#+#+#+#

#  wall
=  refuse pile
+  door

Each stockpile is only one square, so that once there's something in it, no dwarf will even try to open its door.  Dwarves never smell miasma at all with this setup, not even the ones who are dumping refuse.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:19:54 pm by Gnomechomsky »

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 06:26:25 pm »

Alternatively, just give them a massive, engraved dining room so that all the negative thoughts are counteracted, I've never had anyone below 'content' with my current fort. One of my military guys has been through so much that he 'doesn't really care about anything anymore' but yet he is still always happy despite being a pessimist.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:46:12 am »

meh when i get to the last underground level and min it all away im gonna make it into a graveyard and a trade depot(only 2 more z-levels to go)