Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mods and the new version  (Read 1102 times)

Karzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mods and the new version
« on: September 10, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »

First off, hello.  Been playing and lurking for quite a while, at least 3 or 4 months or more.  Figured it was about time I said hello.  I can not get enough of this game.  Curse you Toady for this monster you unleashed upon the world.     :)Anyway I have a few questions and a suggestion.

I know this isn't the suggestions forum, but how about a modder's forum.  This game is going to get bigger than it is already and I have noticed modding posts here and there.  I am sure as the game gets more moddable and popular the posts will grow.  Would be nice to have a one stop shop for any questions related to modding.

My main question is about civilizations.  I am in the process of creating some new civs and was wondering if when the new version comes out will this work be pointless because they won't work with the newest version?  Not sure why they wouldn't but, thought I would ask anyway.

What kind of interaction can I expect with new civs in Fortress mode?  Trading and sieges.  It's a touch hard to test this since it can be years before one sieges you and not sure how to make it for them to trade yet.  I haven't experimented to much, so maybe some of them will trade with me, not sure.  I have been searching the boards and the wiki for general help and come up with some comments about how new civs are selected by picking out of the pot during world gen if there are multiples from the same area, Forrest, Mountain, etc.  I have learned a few other things too that have helped.  I am using the flags [EVIL], [BABYSNACHER], [SIEGE], and [NUISANCE] to try to get some sieges.  In there respective RAW files.  

When I add new civs, I don't notice them in the list when you pick a location for your fortress.  I take it this is just how it is, correct?  Even if it lists Humans, there is actually my custom civ Barbarians?  [ EDIT - Never mind on this, must have been the previous world I generated.  Its showing my custom civs in the lists.]

Right now I have 3 custom civs made.  Barbarians(Plains), Orcs(Mountains), and Sprites(Forests).  During world gen I did notice these were added and am hopeing to have some interaction during Fortress mode.  I would like to be sieged by Barbarians or Orcs.  Including the occasional gobo siege.  I know it all depends on who is picked and where they were placed and what not.

[ September 10, 2007: Message edited by: Karzack ]

Life is short, live it.

Mailbox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mods and the new version
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 08:19:00 pm »

I think that a modifications forum would be very helpful as a lot of modding information is not covered in the wiki and the very nature of modding sometimes brings up lots of questions. Since Dwarf Fortress is such an amazingly easy to modify game, it seems that a healthy modding community with support on the official forums would be very nice to have.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 10:36:00 pm »

Like having a wiki forum, a mod forum would not be mandatory but it certainly would help a lot. And it would keep mod posts out of forums meant for other things.

The RAW tags specifically are very hard to get into, discussion would help a lot with that.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 07:47:00 am »

Toady should make a modding manual to be honest. Sooner or later more and more people would like to start modding -including myself- and the wiki infos are just not enough.

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 09:22:00 pm »

Time spent doing one thing is time not spent doing something else.
With that under consideration, the value of a modding manual plummets

[ September 11, 2007: Message edited by: Vengeful Donut ]

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

Yes, I agree.

As soon as Toady is finished coding DF, which he has been working on for months on end, let's make him write at least 50 pages on how to mod the game he just spent so long making for us. It's the natural thing to ask of him, wouldn't you agree?

Everyone take a deep breath, and realize we'll all be re-learning how to play the game with the new features, and discussion galore will ensue on the wiki and on these forums.

My thoughts: See how the new features work. See how civilizations interact with each other. See how armies work. Give it a chance before we hack it to pieces.

schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »

Manual would kinda spoil it...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Karzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 07:26:00 pm »

Well, me personally I wasn't looking for a manual, just a board for modding, or others who have modded and discovered.  Along with that I was looking for others that have played with modding civilizations.  I am currently messing around basically killing time until the next release.  I don't plan on modding the new release right out of the bag either.  But, if I have a bunch done I can just add it when I want some extra flavor.  Although this game does have plenty of that.  I agree that Toady should not worry about a manual, to much coding to do.  Maybe after version 1.1 if at all.

I know I'm not the only one that has played with civilizations.  Any others have some feedback on what they have discovered?

Life is short, live it.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 08:25:00 pm »

Well so far after several attempts at creating mega beasts to spawn quests, I have found that no one in the world mentions the really big monsters I have created. I'm going to go check in caves next to see if they actually exist or not next. But so far by talking to people about the area I have not seen any mention of any super creatures I have made. On the other hand the civs I have modded in with custom weapons are working out and are using the weapons that I have instructed them to use. Thats a good thing!

Karzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »

I need to jump into adventure mode and check out my new civs.  As of right now I just added some to see if I could do it.  I am currently running in fortress mode to see if they will trade or siege.  The forest (good) civ has yet to show up and the mountain (evil) civ has yet to siege.  But I have only hit year 3-Early Winter, and I have no trade minister or mayor noble.

All I mainly did was a copy paste and added to my plains civ the tags [SIEGER][BABYSNATCHER].  The forrest civ was pretty much just copy paste.  Removed some weapons and armor, among a few minor things.  Once I see what works I can go from there.

Life is short, live it.