Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noble Room Reqs  (Read 3555 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Noble Room Reqs
« on: August 16, 2006, 11:34:00 am »

The room requirements for the nobles (even the basic ones) are seeming to be pretty dauting. I can get modest rooms but the rooms that just say "office" or "quarters". Seem to be immense. In the screenshot above the left most room is entirely quarters but is still not considered better than modest (even if I take out the dining room). This brings me to some questions.

Does detailing floors and walls help bring a room from one level to the next?

Does better quality/more furniture level up the room?

Does it have to have a more square shape?

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noble Room Reqs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 11:42:00 am »

you have to put items with a higher value / extra stuff into their quarters.

Basically, this means you have to start making things out of metal to satisfy the nobles, along with perhaps placing a few high-quality statues in their rooms.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:20:00 pm »

In my game, "modest" 3x3 rooms with a bed and coffer become "good" rooms with nothing but floor detailing.

[ August 16, 2006: Message edited by: UncleSporky ]

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 12:42:00 pm »

Decorating the walls and floors increases value quite a bit. I might be imagining things, but it seems nobles don't like sharing walls with other rooms. Having a bedroom only 1 wall away from their room decreases value, whilst making the distance 2 walls, where no other room includes their walls, maximizes the value.

So my recommendation is 5x5, 1st level decorations on floor and walls and 2-wall distance from other rooms. In case you already made shared walls, increase decorations to 2nd level.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 12:47:00 pm »

That's odd -- they shouldn't mind wall sharing.  Was the wall-shared room completely doored in?  Having any open area besides doors and windows on the boundary of a room decreases the value.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 01:10:00 pm »

Yes, they were enclosed. But as I said, I might just be imagining things. :P

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 01:57:00 am »

I have to dredge this thread up 'cause I'm having noble issues for some reason. I don't recall having problems in the previous game and I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing differently now. I have 3x4 rooms, detailed to level 2, meeting all their furniture requirements, and almost all of the furniture is of very high quality, some of it jewel-encrused, and the like. Some nobles have high quality statues in their rooms. One has a silver throne! It's not that high quality, but c'mon, it's solid silver! But no, that's "modest" by their standards. I think two rooms staggered to adjectiveless status.... but that's not good enough for most of my nobles, and it took both masterful and jewel encrusted furniture to get there.

I did find this blurb in the wiki: "Room sharing (Two rooms sharing a space quarter each's (sic) quality)"
Does this work for like rooms, so that two overlapping bedrooms decrease each other's quality, or does it work on all rooms, so that having a noble's office, dining room and bedroom all in the same space produce bad mojo?
Wall-sharing that Virtz mentioned does not seem to be a problem... I tried shringking the area of adjacent rooms to see if the room which had the walls that had been infringed upon would improve, but it did not, though the occupants of the reduced rooms got unhappy with their accomodations so the change did register in the system.

Maurog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 02:36:00 am »

Room sharing is when any room area overlaps other room area except for doors. Setting a room, study and dining room for a noble in the same space totally decreases the value of all three. It doesn't matter if it's the same noble.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 02:49:00 am »

Ahhh...  unless I'm missing something, the leftmost room in the above screenshot is missing a door.  That will cost you a lot of points right there...  it's important for rooms to be fully enclosed.

They don't have to be of any particular shape, and can even be bizarre, twisty caves for all the dwarves care, but they do have to be totally enclosed or you get a penalty.

Remember that you can decorate a room's walls twice.  That room doesn't even have an entirely decorated floor...

But the easiest way to raise a room's value is to put high-quality items in it, especially masterwork ones.  Have whoever your legendary dwarf is create some things, then throw them in there, even if they aren't needed.

Even if you lack a legendary dwarf, a mildly well-made item (with symbols around its name, like -this-) will still help.  Even ones with no special quality will add their value and help bring the room higher.

Of course, having anything in the room that the room's occupant likes helps even more...  or ore in the walls that they like, that sort of thing.

Did you remember to expand the room's radius to totally fill the area you enclosed it in?  That big room is actually hurting you if you didn't expand your room's area to encompass it, since then your dwarf sees their 'room' as being an absurd chalk outline ala "I Love Lucy" in a much larger space, and will treat it as being missing walls.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 12:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Maurog:
<STRONG>Room sharing is when any room area overlaps other room area except for doors. Setting a room, study and dining room for a noble in the same space totally decreases the value of all three. It doesn't matter if it's the same noble.</STRONG>

Ahhh, I was afraid of this. I should say, the somewhat ambiguous note on the wiki made me afraid of this, because I didn't think it was the case. Thanks.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 02:51:00 pm »

While we're discussing room quality, one thing I noticed during my first real stab at Fortress mode:

Initially, I just placed seven beds in a row in one room, and then converted each bed into a "room" with the size dialed down to 1 square.  By the rules, this should mean the crappiest room possible, but at least they could sleep the first "night".

Then I started carving out some permanent rooms - 3x3 with bed, coffer, cabinet and doors.

I later noticed on this list that many players prefer to start with 2x2 rooms, so I was being extravagant.

However, the game gave both the crappy single beds, and the 3x3 rooms, the same rating: "Meager Quarters".  You'd think that difference would be worth one level of quality, but I guess not.

(I suppose the code was holding out for detailing, which I hadn't done...)

(Oh and one thing I was thinking after looking at this thread --- I had set the 3x3 rooms' size just so that all the floor tiles were "covered".  Do we perhaps need to make sure all the wall tiles are marked too?)

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 03:41:00 pm »

Meager is the crappiest room possible.  The thing is, it takes considerable effort to do better.  In my experience, 3x3 bedrooms with doors and even other furniture are often meager if they aren't detailed at all.  For your non-noble dwarves, the rating isn't everything;  I'm pretty sure small improvements will make them happier even if they don't get the room up to Modest.

You are going to want to expand the room designation until it encompasses the walls as well.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 06:14:00 pm »

My Sheriff is happy in her 20-odd spaces room, ("Decent Quarters" or something like that), and it has just one level of detailing, and one each of somewhat-better quality bed, coffer, cabinet, door and floodgate.

The latter one just in case she might stop liking the room.  :D