Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Things From Particular Stone  (Read 953 times)

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making Things From Particular Stone
« on: July 25, 2008, 03:22:29 pm »

Is there a way to designate the type of stone used to make things, for example doors, coffins, crafts, etc.?  For example, let's say I wanted all obsidian doors. Can I set my mason, or the mason's workshop, to only produce obsidian doors? Thanks.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making Things From Particular Stone
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 03:39:04 pm »

as far as I know, the only way to influence which material a craftsman uses is to ensure that his workshop is surrounded by said material.  Even then, that just (significantly) ups the odds - it's still possible to wind up with a slate door.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 04:12:02 pm »

1) Build the mason's workshop in a lockable room.

2) Put obsidian in this room and make sure it is the only stone in there.

3) Put mason in the roomand lock the door.

4) Order the mason to build doors

5) ??

6) Profit!

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 05:16:39 pm »

Christes has the right idea... crafters/masons/etc will take the nearest material... but they include the vertical axis.  So stuff under them may be considered nearer (even though they might have to walk quite a ways to get to some stairs).

You could always place a stone stock pile (restricted to particular stone) and workshop really far away from anything else.  That has the disadvantage, of course, of being really far away from anything else.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 05:51:27 pm »

Christes has the right idea... crafters/masons/etc will take the nearest material... but they include the vertical axis.  So stuff under them may be considered nearer (even though they might have to walk quite a ways to get to some stairs).

You could always place a stone stock pile (restricted to particular stone) and workshop really far away from anything else.  That has the disadvantage, of course, of being really far away from anything else.

If you lock the door then the nearest material will always be the rock inside that locked room, as all the other rock is inaccessible. It's a bit of a thing to go through though as you have to remember to not drive the mason potty from starvation whilst locked in his little cave but it does work a charm. The work involved doesn;t (imo) make it worthwhile doing for day-to-day production though, I just use it when I need things like bauxite mechanisms and floodgates for magma - for when mudstone really will not do. :)

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 06:42:03 pm »

Excellent! Thanks all.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 08:36:34 pm »

5) ??

6) Profit!

I do not get this joke which I have seen repeatedly used lately
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 08:45:40 pm »

Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 01:09:13 am »

Simple trick to this, just requires some 3D thinking.

Since it's been established that Dwarves consider stockpiles directly above or below the workshop to be closer than stockpiles encircling the workshop. A few staircases leading to a store just above/below the workshop cluster should net you a high efficency production with minimal wastage.*

*IE: Dwarves grabbing the wrong type of rock on their way to work just because it was within reach.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 05:55:41 am »

Also if you have all your stone types listed in the reactions file, you can forbid all materials you don't want for now via the z-"stone" screen. There's a Sean Mirrsen's " all economic stones " minimod around. However it requires a new world so you should consider it only if you start a new fort.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository