Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can Kobolds siege  (Read 1612 times)

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can Kobolds siege
« on: July 24, 2008, 09:09:18 am »

I've been making a new fortress and its going great, everyones got access to whatever alcohol they want, and theres enough food for everyone to have lavish meals, however my only enemy is a nearby kobold civ, and it just sends thiefs every so often, will it ever attack or seige me, and if yes how can I provoke it, as its just lazy at the moment in time?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: can Kobolds siege
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:11:46 am »

Afaik, kobolds don't siege.  You could try pissing off the elves, they might siege if they get mad enough.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:29:19 am »

I think it used to be that if you let the Kobolds steal too much stuff, they'd send out larger and larger raiding parties, to the point where it was very similar to a siege (kobold bowmasters and such). I'm not sure if they still do that, but they still have the token in the raws that makes the severity of the attack depend on the success rate of previous raids, so I'm guessing they still do that.

So if you want kobolds to siege you, put your non-essential stockpiles (like finished goods) out in the open, where nobody's guarding it, and let the kobolds take what they want from it for a while.

Also, I don't think elves will siege you in this version unless they're at war with your civilization, which you can check when embarking. Sadly, if they're not at war with you, there's no way to make them more angry at you, at least in this version. Fortunately, that's coming out in the next version (unless another handful of bugs pop up), but it could easily be several months before we get it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 10:31:07 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 11:07:43 am »

So Ive been happily drowning the elven caravan, looting it, and making bolts out of their bones for nothing?

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:34:19 am »

No no, killing any number of Elves is always worthwhile.  And free bolts never hurt.  Plus, selling even two or three *Elf Skull Totem*s to the other two caravans is enough to give a warm fuzzy feeling ;D

Even so, I want to see if my defenses can withstand one of those 500-Elfalisk assaults people talk about, by Armok.  Forty Marksdwarves above a Macedwarf-clogged, nine-screen-long shooting gallery vs. "ELF RUSH KEKEKE" would be the stuff of legends :P
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:48:05 am »

Keep in mind though that those large Kobold raiding parties will be trap-immune and in ambush mode. If your defense relies heavily on traps bad things will happen to your fortress.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:15:53 pm by Dogman »

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 12:50:43 pm »

im not even getting large raiding parties, im getting one kobold who gets spotted walking across the only bridge, and shot to peices

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:52:22 pm »

Oddly enough, kobolds still send thieves even if there are at peace with you, and don't get angry if you kill their thieves.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 05:19:24 pm »

I can confirm that kobolds will send ambushes once they've stolen a few things.  I neglected to pick up a few giant cave spider items that were on fallen soldiers outside my fort, so the kobold thieves "stole" some of them.  Next season a kobold ambush part of spearmen and swordsmen came after my work crew outside.

Two legendary stoneworkers killed them all with their picks.

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 05:36:30 pm »

I founded a new fortress, nd I checked that there was goblins nearby (they were even marked with WAR) next to them, However I checked the list of civs from ingame and it didnt list any goblins. Will I only list them when i come into contact with them?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 05:42:28 pm »

Will I only list them when i come into contact with them?

Correct.  The ingame civs only show up once you've had contact with them, peace or war.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 05:49:18 pm »

Well Ive had two seiges in my new area now, the first one took me by surprise, it was humans!

then goblin ambushes started appearing, followed by a gobbo seige.

the dwarves only ally in this world is elves, its just not right!