Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two Worlds  (Read 1032 times)

narskie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two Worlds
« on: July 24, 2008, 10:20:24 pm »

Well I started playing DF with little knowledge of the game.  I saved it and came back later knowing a lot more and wanting to start a new fortress.  I did, but it ended up creating an entire new world.  Now I can't seem to do anything other than either play the two old fortresses on world A or B, or start a new world.  Since the first fortress was mostly a learning experience, I'd prefer to get rid of it now (and the world associated with it).  How?

Second, is it normal that I can't try adventure mode yet?  Do I have to let both fortresses die and/or delete them to experiment with it adventuring?  Or do I have to somehow generate a third world just for adventure mode, since the other two are associated with fortresses?

Thanks for any help regarding this.  I'd like to keep the latest fortress on world B, but would also like to adventure on that world if possible, although I'm not sure if I'm willing to sacrifice the fortress I've worked on just to try adventuring.  Have my cake and eat it too  ;D

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Two Worlds
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 10:23:18 pm »

If you want to go back and forth between fort and adventure, yes, you'll need different worlds.  Each world can only have one fort or adventurer active at a time, so in order to go from one to the other, you have to either abandon the fort or retire the adventurer.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

narskie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:44:49 pm »

Hmm.  Maybe I'll just find a way to kill the dwaves on my first world so I can designate that as my adventure world.  I've noticed having dwarves near rivers seems particularly deadly, maybe a well placed stockpile near running water will free it up for adventuring.

Oddly I've lost quite a few dwarves and even whole incoming dwarf/human caravans to the river.  I've learned to stay away from rivers but in this case it should be useful to clear up that slot. 

Thanks for your quick response. 

max

• Bay Watcher
  • d/dx optimus=?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 11:32:37 pm »

To get rid of DF worlds, you'll need to go into the directory which will then look something like C://.../data/save/region#

You can delete any world you want from there. As for switching between adventurer and fortress, the game is a bit more forgiving when retiring an adventurer as you can retire, start a fortres, abandon it, and return to your adventurer after that.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Evelyn Beatrice Hall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 01:43:48 am »

If you want to adventure in the first world you don't have to kill the dwarves, you can just abandon fortress. Though killing them does seem more in the spirit of the game.

If you want to adventure in your second world and play your fortress as well, you can always copy the region folder, abandon in one folder, and then use one for adventuring and one for the fortress you have going. That way you can be an adventurer in a parallel universe.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:03:41 pm »

Random question: Rivers are different than brooks I assume, since rivers seem to contain evil fish that will destroy civilizations whereas I've had a brook on most ever map I've tried, and never had any fish problems.

I've never seen a river on the world map though; where are they at?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Lord Byte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lordbyte.be
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 04:05:38 am »

On the embark screen you can see: "Brook: xxx" or "River/Stream : xxx" (you might have to use the F1,2,.. buttons to swap biomes though if the standard selected biome doesn't have the river passing through it at some point).

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 04:13:26 am »

I think rivers are a darker blue on the map as well.
Also, brooks are basically drinkable floors with a river underneath; you cannot walk across a river like you can a brook.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 04:53:39 am »

Yes, consider the brooks like a "shallow" water, it is passable but has a "wet ground" under it so if you mine it out from the side or channel the brook from above you'll get a river.
Because the brook by default is not deep at all there's no place for fish.
Rivers are much more dangerous.

About saves... When you continue a fortress/start a new one it says "region1" etc.

Go to your /Dwarf Fortress/Data/Save folder, you'll see a list of folders there with the names "region1", "region2" etc.
These are your "worlds" in these folders. If you want to get rid of a world, just remove a folder.

If you want to start adventuring in the world where you already have a fortress but you want to stay with the fort, find the world folder's name (as I said when you continue to play it is displayed like "region#"), copy it and rename it. I.e. you had a "region2" world, copy it in the same folder and name it "region3".
Now go straight into the game, load the "region3" game (it appears after the 2nd one, it should be it's copy) and press ESC->Abandon Fortress.
Voila, you're in the same world. As a bonus feature, you can find your fortress and check it as an adventurer (the easiest way to find the place of your fortress if you forgot where had you embarked is to start a new "fortress mode" and to select the Reclaim option, then you can find your fortress in the list and determine it's position on the world map).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 05:15:17 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository