Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone, Bred in the Bone  (Read 827 times)

Abaxial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/stultiloquent
Stone, Bred in the Bone
« on: June 05, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

I'm a very recent newcomer to this game, and have been shocked at my lack of webcrawling prowess to have missed this wonderful game for so long.  Obviously I have only been scratching the surface of what is possible in a roguelike and my searches and diving into the roguelike community only last week brought me face to face with Bay 12 games.

Incidentally, if I wasn't otherwise too preoccupied with hallowing out a life for my first seven dwarves I might find the time to complain about my recent lack of social life.  I might also take time to talk about how a loving girlfriend is slowing starting to lose patience with each utterance of "I just have to dig out one more room" or "create one more stockpile".

Alas, I have no time to expand upon these thoughts as I don't want to keep my game paused too long lest it cut into productivity.

Seriously though, just wanted to introduce myself to these here fine forums and say that I'm a new victim, sucked into the mountain by what is a continually more and more beautiful game.

Peace,

Abaxial

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone, Bred in the Bone
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 10:59:00 am »

Hahaha! Welcome. You'll get used to it eventually. Get used to what? Well I guess you can decide that for yourself. Anyway, yeah welcome. I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

Welcome! I have a self-imposed ban on playing DF to retain some level of productivity in the uni exam period. Therefore I browse the DF forums. DF FTW!
fox has become enraged!

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

Just get your girlfriend to play DF, too. That's what I did  :D. Seeing her play is the sexiest thing ever.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »

And so we claim yet another victim...  Welcome Abaxial, welcome to your new home.  MUAHAHAHAHAA!

Dwarf Fortress:  Pioneering the use of vomit as a deadly weapon since 1051

You're just in time for one seriously cool update.  Feel free to check in the development logs on the DF main page to see the recent work done, and be sure to take a peek at the Future of the Fortress threads, versions 3 and 4.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

Welcome to Awesome!

((Just because he has a post here: ShunterAlhena, CHECK YOUR PMs!))

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shzar:
<STRONG>Just get your girlfriend to play DF, too. That's what I did   :D. Seeing her play is the sexiest thing ever.</STRONG>

have you convinced her to grow a beard yet?

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Abaxial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/stultiloquent
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>And so we claim yet another victim...  Welcome Abaxial, welcome to your new home.  MUAHAHAHAHAA!

Dwarf Fortress:  Pioneering the use of vomit as a deadly weapon since 1051

You're just in time for one seriously cool update.  Feel free to check in the development logs on the DF main page to see the recent work done, and be sure to take a peek at the Future of the Fortress threads, versions 3 and 4.</STRONG>

Oh, believe me, I've been keeping tabs on the development notes as soon as I found them.  I love that they're updated so frequently.  (And close to completing this release...)

Right now I'm just intent on taking this attempt of my DF till it naturally finds it's end either by a slow death, or perhaps by goblin death.

I've started and re-started and re-started in an attempt to learn the finer points of the game, and I'm not certain the learning process is fully complete.  I have yet to actually irrigate and farm, which I intend to do presently.

So, thanks all for your welcome, and I'll see you all on the other side.

Unless I'm too busy seeing my Dwarf Fortress come alive on my screen.

Peace,

Abax.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 08:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shzar:
<STRONG>Just get your girlfriend to play DF, too. That's what I did   :D. Seeing her play is the sexiest thing ever.</STRONG>

Lots of people tend to think of getting their female spouses or relatives into gaming by means of casual games (die, Popcap, die!!!)... honestly I think DF could be a good candidate too.

Show them all the depth to the game and all the wacky things that can happen (especially combined with a little imagination), then help them learn to play it.

Suddenly instead of one of you unfairly picking up the slack for the other's lost productivity, you're both unproductive and too distracted to care!