Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about dumping / quality  (Read 970 times)

Konis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about dumping / quality
« on: July 24, 2008, 12:53:20 pm »

Hi all -

Started playing 3 days ago, hooked already.  I have a tidy little fortress going (or did, rather.  I managed to start without any metals around and in my search for them, bad things happened. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
)

So, to the question.  I have a dwarf working at making stone trade goods.  I want him to get better, but I also don't really care about your run of the mill rock piccolo or even -rock piccolo-, so I have my stockpiles set to only accept things above those first 2 levels of quality.  Of course, then the workshop will get cluttered with cheap trade trinkets, which is no good either.  My temporary solution is to put a small stockpile that accepts only the bad goods, and put that right next to my dump spot.  So when it gets full, I just mark them all for dumping.  That works alright, but then I get dwarves running from other jobs to dump stuff.  Not ideal. 

Is there a better way?  And is there a place I can set it so that all of a certain item under a certain quality get dumped? 

Thanks.

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about dumping / quality
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 01:06:24 pm »

As far as I know, no, you cannot set things to be automatically dumped, and it must be done manually. It can help to build some wooden bins, those can store huge numbers of craft goods and help tidy up the place. It honestly might be worth it just to stuff all those lower quality goods into bins and sell them to traders.

Konis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 01:39:26 pm »

Ah, thanks.

Related to that, I've read up on the wiki, but I'm not totally clear on the whole bin/barrel/bag situation.  I know that each one is for specific goods, but does it just happen automatically?  As in, do they just take things, put them in bins, then put the bins in the right stockpile?  I guess that's more a question of how the interface works to make them tidy up the place.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 02:27:55 pm »

Make a separate stockpile that only accepts poor quality goods and build an atom-smasher(a raised bridge) next to it. Once the stockpile is full, lower the bridge and viola, all your unwanted garbage is gone.

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 03:06:14 pm »

Ah, thanks.

Related to that, I've read up on the wiki, but I'm not totally clear on the whole bin/barrel/bag situation.  I know that each one is for specific goods, but does it just happen automatically?  As in, do they just take things, put them in bins, then put the bins in the right stockpile?  I guess that's more a question of how the interface works to make them tidy up the place.

Using bins/barrels is automatic.  What seems to happen is...
Code: [Select]
Dwarf picks up good to be stockpiled.
If there is a barrel/bin with room in it...
  put it in there.  Done.
Else, is this stockpile at it's barrel/bin limit?
  No
    is there an empty barrel/bin available (usually in a furniture stockpile)?
      Yes, grab the barrel/bin to be put in the stockpile and put the good in it.  Done.
Else, just put the good in the stockpile.

In addition, I also recommend holding onto the stuff for trading, elves love stone junk (and little else).
Dwarf Transplant updating utility

Konis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:20:20 pm »

Hmm, I'll see about storing it and whether it drives me nuts. 

I suppose I could just trade it all to the elves, but they never seem to have anything I want.  A giving anything to the pointy-ears that I don't have to just seems so un-dorfenly.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 06:23:54 pm »

I would recommend storing the junk in bins and then trading them to the caravan. It is much easier than atom-crushing them all, and you even get to re-use the bin if you just sell the rock stuff!

If you don't want to trade it to the elves, trade it with the humans / dwarves. The more profit they make, the more goods they will bring next time which is always good. Turn your junk into advantage.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 08:52:37 am »

I approve of the bin sentiment. :)

You can set in each stockpile [q] how many barrels/bins are to be used there.
I'm not completely sure how it is desided where the bins go, but probably to piles with much traffic when the bins/barrels become available.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Konis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:24:34 pm »

So, I've been storing all the finished goods in a big stockpile near my depot, and it's been working out.  I've set the # of bins allowed to 20, but I haven't ever had more than 4 there at a time, and I've got plenty of other things sitting there out of bins, just in the stockpile.  I've got spare, empty bins waiting in furniture storage (maybe 10, and my reserved is set at 5) but they're not going there.  Am I doing something wrong?

Also, on the subject of storage . . . I have a small stockpile near my farms for just seeds and potash.  But somehow the bag of plump helmet spawn is in my furniture storage, and no one will take it to the right spot near the farms.  What did I miss here?

And thanks for the suggestions.  I've been selling all the junk to the elves, expect I accidentally tried to sell the tree-huggers a cedar bin and now they're mad at me.  Time to start training some marksdwarves . . .