Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A better debugger  (Read 881 times)

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
A better debugger
« on: July 26, 2008, 08:32:05 pm »

Hey folks. Trying my hand at modding, but aside from the "error" log that gets dumped in the event of my lack of intelligence, is there another way to diagnose where screwed something up? some sort of...debug mode?

Keep in mind I'm trying to do relatively basic modding here, nothing too fancy.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: A better debugger
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 02:53:39 am »

Well, I consider errorlog to be clear enough (because I spent a lot of time in trials and errors, so I fully understand you).
If you can't figure out your errorlog.txt contents, try to post it on forums with your modded files, someone picky enough will find your problem.
Sadly there's no standard "debug mode", however there're some apps like Mod Base which implement some level of modding.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 03:12:35 am »

Ah, well, the issue is that world gen is crashing. It appears, though apparently not, that my creatures are correct and should work. Should. Should. The game seems to disagree and then crashes rather promptly. Additionally I think the forum residents would become somewhat irked if I came here every time I had a problem.

For example: I spent the last two hours trying to debug a single creature. Not a peep from errorlog, so I stumbled blindly around, poking and prodding said potentional creature until I gave up. In the end I figured that there was some sort of syntax error or some sort of wrongly placed space, or a TAB in the wrong area.

And while errorlog does help, it doesn't seem to help so much as I need it. Such is the price of modding?

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 04:33:05 am »

Our gui based Mod tool will grow to catch most user errors and present them to the user straight away (or possible with a check for error button). This might still be a couple of weeks away with debuging, beta testing, expansion of the system I hope it will help some people in the future.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 04:34:58 am »

You can try to use logic to deduce the problem.

For example, when does worldgen crash? Knowing which part of worldgen it crashes in should help you identify which file (entity, creature, or item) is causing the problem.

You should also try to isolate the files one by one. Once you know which one will allow the game to run and which one doesn't, then you can try removing tags one by one, or giving the tags to other races and seeing what happens.

p.s: this might be a longshot, but if you're trying to gen a civ with [DRAGONFIREBREATH], it'll crash worldgen in this version.

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 11:44:21 am »

Yeah...kinda...er..did...all that. It's to the point where you know precisely where the issue is, but can't find it anyway. You know, tunnel vision.

I guess I'll just wait around for our friends in the mod community to complete that creature editor. It seems to be my best hope for less frustration.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:31:27 am »

I guess I'll just wait around for our friends in the mod community to complete that creature editor. It seems to be my best hope for less frustration.

We're working hard to make the creature editor complete (or at least the first beta). Hang in there!  ;)