Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Core Quality, Total Quality  (Read 1213 times)

Relee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Core Quality, Total Quality
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:58:34 pm »

I was just setting up an artifact vault, to store the artifacts of my fort. I decided to do this when I noticed an artifact crown was being stored in the little room I store trade goods, and I don't want to trade it or have it stolen by a kobold or goblin or something.

I hadn't thought of it untill now, but certain stockpiles have the option to choose specific "Core Quality" and "Total Quality" but when I tried looking it up in the Wiki, the terms were never used. What are the Core Quality and Total Quality?
- Relee the Squirrel --

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Core Quality, Total Quality
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:08:23 pm »

I believe "core quality" refers to the quality of the main component of the item.  So if you have a stone scepter encrusted with gems, the quality only takes into account the stone scepter, and not the gems.  Total quality, I think, takes into account the various qualities of all "ingredients" in the item.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

Yeah - remember all those caravan goods with a bunch of different quality brackets? That's probably total, tho I've nae clue sure how it'd be arrived at(added, average, best of, etc??).

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:43:35 pm »

Yeah - remember all those caravan goods with a bunch of different quality brackets? That's probably total, tho I've nae clue sure how it'd be arrived at(added, average, best of, etc??).

All items have a base quality. For example, a statue has 25, if I remember. Then the material multiplies it; a diamond statue is worth 50 times as much. Then quality level multiplies it again.

Decorations work the same way; your average decoration is worth 10, times the value of whatever it was you decorated with, times the value of the skill. So then you just add the value of the decoration.

So your item looks like

(abc+def) if A=base value, B=material value, and C=quality.

A further example:

Craft is 10. You've gone and made one out of Marble, which is a x2 multiplier. Its also *superior*, which means its x5. You now have your *Marble Scepter* worth 100. But then you studded it with gold. A finely crafted gold stud would be 3 (finely crafted)*10(base decoration)*30(gold modifer)=900☼ Your +*Marble Scepter*+ is now worth 1000.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:49:53 pm by shadow_archmagi »
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 05:00:45 pm »

Heh, I know how value multipliers work - I was specifically referring to how an item's Total Quality tier is selected.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 09:21:21 pm »

No clue about the qualities and all, but you could should use a bridge as a gatehouse, pull the lever whenever you get the message of a stolen itm, send a peasantt to the gate, and search for the kobold :)
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 09:27:17 pm »

That's like locking the front door after coming home to find your house has been robbed! You get the message about an item being stolen once that creature is off the map - it is too late to get the item back or hunt for them as they are beyond your borders. ;)

Of course thieves usually come in pairs or more, so you may catch the others and prevent another theft.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:48:36 pm »

That's like locking the front door after coming home to find your house has been robbed! You get the message about an item being stolen once that creature is off the map - it is too late to get the item back or hunt for them as they are beyond your borders. ;)

Of course thieves usually come in pairs or more, so you may catch the others and prevent another theft.

I've always got them right before stumbling upon the thief at the item pile.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 09:08:43 am »

I've always got them right before stumbling upon the thief at the item pile.

An item is only 'stolen' once the theif gets off the map - prior to that you get no message.

If you are catching theives after getting 'stolen' messages, those are follow-up theives.

Personally, I just chain a few surplus animals at the enterance to act as spotters.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 09:27:22 pm »

Well, never noticed anything missing so I'm going to go with my computer is being weird. But yeah, spotters work.