Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does the [FLIER] tag work?  (Read 1039 times)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
How does the [FLIER] tag work?
« on: July 22, 2008, 02:51:27 am »

I made a race of sentient flyers, quite nice for a newbie to modding I think... Only now I can only fly up one z level, and if I'm already up one z level (say, on a cliff) I can't fly any higher. Why? I would expect to have a bit more freedom of movement - it's more like awkward hovering as it is now. Then again these guys are sentient and bipedal, so they'd have to have very strong wings to do that.

But how does it work? Is it based on size? Weight? Armor carried? Strength?
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Re: How does the [FLIER] tag work?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:24:31 am »

I know what you mean, i added a sentiet flyer race too, it depends on your local environment. If your in a human town you can easily fly up 3 or 4 levels, because the keep will be about that high. In the desert, you might be able to fly up 1. I don't know why but its dependant on the hieght of surrounding objects.

just out of intrest hats your flying race like? Have you tried them on fortress mode?

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 03:34:54 am »

No, because I've heard that causes people to get stuck in midair. And yeah, I figured it out. Z-levels aren't created unless there's a need for them. Which explains to me why those giant eagles are always on the ground - my forts don't have a whole lot of room for them to maneuver. :D

Or do they? Is it different in fortress mode, I wonder?

Adventure mode is _sweet_, though. Opens up lots of tactical options. You can shoot people from midair, on rooftops, or just generally deal out asskickery one z-level above.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

rufus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 03:46:42 am »

Speaking of tactical options... I noticed you can attack people on the ground from several Z levels up out of their reach, just by using SHIFT+A to attack.  Of course, they need to be nearby, either directly below you, or one tile away.  I'm pretty sure this is a bug, because I flew over a chasm once and got attacked by ratmen several levels below.

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 05:14:54 am »

if the game delt with all the z levels at once the game would grind out...
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 01:40:48 pm »

I killed a demon once by flying way high up over him (mountain nearby, gave extra Z levels) and then by pressing either 'Lie Down' or 'Sleep', i forget. I whizzed really fast and smacked into him. He caught me and then he died. I didn't have a scratch. Trying again, I missed a goblin and instead EXPLODED.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:05:09 pm by Dr. Melon »

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 10:58:20 pm »

That story is so awesome that I must experiment with it myself. (Flying Adventure Mode creatures, that is.)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 01:18:12 am »

If you'd like, I could give you my race or post the raws here. If nothing else it would give a general idea about how to mod in a human-like bird race.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 03:05:38 pm »

Me? I just added the [FLIER] tag to humans. Nothing else was required.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 09:53:08 pm »

I have noticed that in the recent versions 39a-d, the height that you can fly up is related to the top height of nearby objects, unlike in old versions where you could fly up to 15z-levels above the highest point on that section of map.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 11:53:20 pm »

Yeah, but my race has actual wings. ^_^