Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: choosing stone in workshops  (Read 1199 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
choosing stone in workshops
« on: July 23, 2008, 01:00:49 am »

You know how you can choose what gems you want to cut with the jeweler's workshop (thank god) what about applying that to things like crafts, mugs, beds, doors, ect? It detects what stone you do have (like gems) and allows you to choose what stone to make it out of (like dolomite). I'm just tired of having to create special stockpiles near the specific workshops only to change them later on when I have a different need or see that somehow a different stone managed to sneak its way in, it would definetly help in creating stuff for nobles. Also could be aplied to wood, most of the time you get random wood for your beds and whatnot to since the trees are all mixed up unless you micro manage and only choose specific trees/special stockpiles.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: choosing stone in workshops
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 01:21:32 am »

Pretty sure that's in the Reqs somewhere; lemme go look.

Found it:
Req27, IMPROVED WORKSHOP INTERFACES, (Future): Many workshops should give you the option to choose which material, plant etc. you'd like to use, rather than just picking the closest one.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:33:06 am »

Ah ok then. There were some other ideas to from another board... what about thrones, mugs, helmets, weapons (hammer, crossbow) out of skulls? Something like having a dragon skull for a helmet is pretty awsome.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:10:04 am »

Screw that, man... I'm going for the all kitten skull brigade

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:30:27 pm »

Wait - they use the closest stone?

So I can stockpile all my Microcline next to the mason's for lots of blue stuff?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:43:51 pm »

Yes you can. :)

Oh, but keep in mind that the game looks for the closest including z-levels but not including actual walking time. So your mason will walk 100 steps to go grab the rock that's right below his workshop rather then go 10 steps over to the rock on the far side of the stockpile
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One