Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MODers suggestions.  (Read 460 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
MODers suggestions.
« on: July 22, 2008, 01:36:22 pm »

I was thinking that it would be nice to see what the moding comunity of DF would like in the game not just the players.

Since I am going first there are Two things i would like to see in dwarffortress from a moding point of view.

1: [UNDERWATERBUILDER] //A tag that would allow a creature to build stuff even if it's water in the way. //This would primarly be used to make a semiaquatic creature that could build underground cities and fortresses.

2: Two or more creatures in one civ.
This is connected to the one above. I want a slow sturdy swimmer/builder that can breath under water and can build the underwater city. And a smaller faster "upper class" that can swim but don't stay under water. So you would send the builders down to build the city and access and set upp dry areas, then give access to the upper class. While still haveign the possibility to fix leaks and expand.

Any one else?
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: MODers suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:15:19 pm »

I wouldn't know where to start.

More parameters settable for different creature states. (states are genders and age phases)
Possibly even whole different creatures defined as different states of one creature.

Tags to control global mineral placement, with layer, mineral, and height affinity, and placement type.

Tags to allow more buildings for reactions.
Fix for the plant/animal derived items being nigh unusable in reactions.

More parameter tags for more items. Value should be omnipresent. Damage should be added to most items. Weapons should get protection bonuses, simulating hand guards. More items should have tags to specify materials that the item can be made of.
More parameter tags for materials. There's no reason to not include damage/block rates for wood or stone. Value, too.

There are probably more, but these are all I can think of at the moment.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 03:49:56 pm »

All good ones, Sean.

I'd like to see creature attributes that can be changed depending on the sex of the creature. (Horns for bulls, for example). I'd also like to be able to have creatures which can spawn similar creatures. I'm thinking Queen ants and Bees, here. Where they occasionally spawn a new queen, but mostly you get soldiers and workers.

I'd also like to see more reactions available at the smelter. The current number of free slots is too limiting.

More variety in mineral placement. Right now we just have small clusters, large clusters, and veins. I'd like to see several sizes of clusters and several sizes of veins. How about mineral veins that reach across the entire map? Short veins, with only 10-20 blocks? Medium clusters with 40-50 blocks, instead of just the 5 or 500 options we have now.

I'd like better control over the metals and materials used by civs. I'd like to make a stone-age civ that just uses basic wood and stone weapons. Bronze age civs are desired by a few people, I know. For my mod, I have lots of new materials in place, and I'd love to be able to tell my civs to use them.

Equipment for non-civ creatures. I want ogres using clubs, mail-clad Titans with gigantic two-handed swords, lizardmen using spears and leather shields.

On Sean's topic of setting values for wood and stone, I'd like to be able to access the default damage/armor setting. Right now it's 50%, which lets you do ridiculous things like kill someone with a sock. While cool, it's pretty silly. I'd like to be able to set that to a lower % (like 5), and be able to set everything higher. Maybe even have defaults by material? So, say, cloth is 1%, wood is 40%, metal and stone are 50%, and so on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 05:39:16 pm »

TL/DR : Make all tags stackable across the various memberships an object can have.

I'd like to see an abstract trait stacking system.  To expand on Mephansteras:  Each element of an object (is-a relationship) would have a modifier.  For instance, take a masterwork linen sock.  Masterwork work be (Damage * 2), Linen would be (Damage * .05) and Sock would be (Damage .1) for a masterwork linen sock that does .01 (or effectively 0) damage.

Now take a Half-assed (* .5) Obsidian (* 1.3) Dagger (10) for a damage of 6.5.  (This is kind of what we've got now, only with the defaults too high)

Well, now say that we add a sort modifier (Adorned with rings, menacing with spikes.)  Say that the menacing with spikes modifier is +1 (* .75 copper *1.8 Excellent) aprox = +1.5 , with the modifiers added on the end.

This would also work with races (to create racial modifiers... Abberant Animals can be of type X, Y, or Z, and modify the base template with +1 this and thats.

The same principle could apply to Races + Civs + Cultures + Towns + Individuals.  Rather than some creatures having 'Kidnapping = bad', create a scaled morality.  Goblin race (Kidnapping +50) + Human Civ (Kidnapping -60) + Tooth of Nails government (Kidnapping +20) + GoblinConquerredTower Town (Kidnapping +40) + Grexic the Meek Goblin (Kidnapping -10) = Kidnapping = 40.

Scale that out to first 50 points = straight, next 50 = /2 , next = /3, etc and use that as your moral scale.  For positive numbers you like it, for negatives you don't.  At +-50 you'll care enough to start wars over it, and groups move toward the aggregate of the population and vice versa.(ok, moving into TMI here)