Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save embark profile.  (Read 846 times)

g1real

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save embark profile.
« on: June 16, 2008, 11:57:59 am »

I'm a lurker, but I just registered to post this: It seems that I restart fortresses a lot (of course, to get a near perfect start) and what mostly annoys me is that I continuesly have to re-enter what I want to take with me (items) and what skills the dwarves get.

Here are my suggestions:

* The ability to remove everything in one button, with confirmation.
* The ability to save ability layout's individually and for a whole group of 7.
* The ability to save items layout in category and for an instant embark.

This could be just one default setting you have, or multiple profiles saved, and selectable in a list.

I'll lurk this thread and see if I get any positivity out of it, if I make any typo's, blame my laptop for skipping random keys, I tried to search for this but couldn't find anything.

Cya!

P.S. Is there a way to force a dwarf to remove all the items in a room, if not, another suggestion to that.
P.P.S. A way to make it easier to control cats, I just love them, but they're such a nuisance and simplistic in DF. A way to neuter them, perhaps?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 12:00:23 pm by g1real »

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Save embark profile.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 12:12:18 pm »

One problem with saving the items selected is that not every civilization allows the exact same set of items.  Example:  some civilizations let you embark with bauxite, and some do not.  If bauxite is part of your default items, then the game would have to not include it, possibly giving you a warning message.  And if it does the latter, then it would have to give you a message somehow for every single item that couldn't be included.  I believe this applies to stone, blocks, and I think food, perhaps some others as well.  (If not yet, possibly in the future.)

Now all this is doable, but not as elegant and simple as one might have originally imagined.  It might still be better than what we currently have, but not to the degree that one might have assumed.

g1real

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 12:17:12 pm »

Allow different profiles for different races civilizations.  :P

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 12:18:03 pm »

The AdjustProfile utility in Tweak makes it easier to manage the abilities, but it still can't save them.

Or did the buggy saved profile issue get fixed in the most recent version of Tweak? I haven't got that version yet because the .NET thing takes too long to download.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:39:39 pm »

Just a series of key commands that did each of the following would be lovely:

1: Remove all skills and equipment
2: Add one of every meat of value 2
3: Add one of each booze

The first saves maybe 50 keystrokes. The second saves about the same. The third saves only about 25 or so.

But it would be cool!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:34:53 pm »

Bumping this because I didn't want to start another thread:

With the latest release allowing for custom worlds to be generated and the parameters saved to a text file, it'd be nice if embark profiles were implemented in a similar fashion, generating a text file for each new embark profile. Then profiles could be posted on the wiki, or anywhere else for people to try.

It'd get newbies into the game losing faster.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 08:02:39 am »

Just a series of key commands that did each of the following would be lovely:

1: Remove all skills and equipment
2: Add one of every meat of value 2
3: Add one of each booze

The first saves maybe 50 keystrokes. The second saves about the same. The third saves only about 25 or so.

But it would be cool!

FYI, the 1 of something giving you a free barrel to boot is considered an exploit and will be fixed (eventually)