Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact weapon / woodcutting endless cycle  (Read 626 times)

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact weapon / woodcutting endless cycle
« on: August 16, 2006, 03:49:00 am »

Recently I had one of my carpenters craft Lithrushdastot, "The Fetid Sword" Oaken Crossbow.  After wondering why a crossbow would be called a sword, I noticed he was trying to pick up equipment, probably some bolts to use his crossbow with.  This is all well and good, but without a quiver, this means he was trying to hold three things: his crossbow (which I really doubt he'll part with), the bolts (which he needs for his crossbow) and a battle axe (because he has the wood cutting job).  From what I could tell, he picked up the bolts and dropped his axe.  He takes two steps, realizes he needs an axe, and gets a new one from the nearest weapon rack (if it wasn't so close, he might've just picked up his old axe).  So, he picks up the new axe in his right hand, but he's already holding his artifact crossbow in it, and so he drops the axe immediately.  Satisfied, he takes two steps away (he has no job during this time), then chooses a new task: equipping himself for his wood cutting job.  Back he goes to the axe, picks it up, drops it, takes two steps away, repeat.

I assume something similar would happen if someone was trying to pick up a pickaxe for mining.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Artifact weapon / woodcutting endless cycle
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 04:06:00 am »

Another dwarf in need of three arms.  We need some kind of river of radioactive sludge.  This should be easy to fix.  I suppose you've already turned off woodcutting or whatever you need to do to make the dwarf sane again.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 05:46:00 am »

You could use the radioactive river to distill uranium to power your nuclear weapons project.

The only problem would be the constant Elf weapons inspections team

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 04:59:00 pm »

Bloody elves.  We Dwarves have a right to defend ourselves!
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 05:38:00 pm »

You know, it isn't difficult to add another limb to dwarves at the beginning of world generation. Then again, adding 6 tentacles to my dwarves didn't have nearly as large of an effect on my game as I was hoping. I wonder if extra arms can actually be used in dwarf mode yet? Maybe I'll see what happens if I give my dwarves eight arms.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 06:03:00 pm »

I really don't have any idea...  they will still only haul one thing, but they might go for more weapons if you give them more grasping limbs.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!