Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaving the fortress without abandoning it.  (Read 2406 times)

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Leaving the fortress without abandoning it.
« on: July 23, 2008, 05:34:55 am »

Not to complain about the new version of DF, but there is one thing I would like to have. The possibility to start a new fortress in the same world without abandoning the other fortresses. Then you could create a great dwarven empire and destroy the gobbos once and for all. Besides it would let the dwarven adventurers be able to shop for dwarffitted equipment.

Anyone like my idea?

PenguinSeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leaving the fortress without abandoning it.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:27:38 am »

This would be great to have, and would allow players to really change the world, but how would the fortress be run? Would it just stay in some kind of statis until someone visits it?

I guess that would be the easiest way.

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:39:21 am »

I would think that it should work like the other cities in adventure mode. Nothing big happening, then the goblin demons could ask you to kill those pesky champions  :P

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:01:56 am »

I think this has been discussed before, but it would be neat.  I don't think it will happen until world level events begin happening during normal play, so that the game can treat player fortresses as normal mountain hall sites.
Fefeshnelmargalip

PenguinSeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 01:24:45 pm »

I think this has been discussed before, but it would be neat.  I don't think it will happen until world level events begin happening during normal play, so that the game can treat player fortresses as normal mountain hall sites.
I guess.

How would this work for the player? Would it be an extra option under abandon the fortress? And what happens if you try to leave while something like a magma flood is happening? Would the fortress continue as normal in the history until the player visits the fortress again?

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:16:53 am »

I guess.

How would this work for the player? Would it be an extra option under abandon the fortress? And what happens if you try to leave while something like a magma flood is happening? Would the fortress continue as normal in the history until the player visits the fortress again?

I once set a fortress to flood itself. Pulled the lever, everyone drowned. Came back with a reclaim team. Attached a new lever to the doors, on the outside this time. Opened 'em. Flooded the entrance area before it got too laggy. Abandoned. Came back with another reclamation team, after fiddling around in adventure mode for a while, to find the valley halfway filled with water: far more than when I left so long ago. Lagged like all hell, though.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:21:58 am »

Mentioned a lot. Would LOVE this feature, especially if the AI that ends up controlling it tends towards the characteristics of the original human controller.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 06:28:22 am »

Yes, I know... blah blah multiplayer/interface blah...  ignore my post if you just want to mouth off on how you hate multiplayer and or interface upgrades.  I'm not responding to flames.

But honestly, If Toady split the interface from the engine and the interface queried the engine (over TCP/UDP, whatever) for a small section of the world you could easily build multiple fortresses and just pan around the world like you'd do in adventure mode.  Of course, it would require some water optimizations (only calculate water as one tile instead of 7/7 water when it's offscreen) as well as dwarf pathing (have the client path, send it to the server for verification?), but those are needed anyway.  Besides, at that point you could have a main DF server running in another room while you connected to the server with your laptop from the couch. :p
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 04:19:42 am »

Perhaps leaving the fortress without abandoning it would require some kind of check to see if it works, maybe even with a check each year to see if the fort expands, contracts, stays constant, or dies out.  Most of the working of the fortress could be handled very abstractly, with the existing residents just randomly milling about in adventure mode.  Still, it would be nice to see less fortresses die due to boredom.

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 02:03:47 pm »

Yes, I know... blah blah multiplayer/interface blah...  ignore my post if you just want to mouth off on how you hate multiplayer and or interface upgrades.  I'm not responding to flames.

But honestly, If Toady split the interface from the engine and the interface queried the engine (over TCP/UDP, whatever) for a small section of the world you could easily build multiple fortresses and just pan around the world like you'd do in adventure mode.  Of course, it would require some water optimizations (only calculate water as one tile instead of 7/7 water when it's offscreen) as well as dwarf pathing (have the client path, send it to the server for verification?), but those are needed anyway.  Besides, at that point you could have a main DF server running in another room while you connected to the server with your laptop from the couch. :p

Did you post this in the wrong topic by any chance?  ;) 
Derp.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 02:17:48 pm »

Did you post this in the wrong topic by any chance?  ;) 
Nope... jsut giving a solution to being able to build more than one fortress in the same world.  That's all.  It just happens to fit with my idea of how multiplayer and the interface could be knocked out in the same stroke.  Three birds, one stone... if you will.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.