Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact ammunition  (Read 1357 times)

Krakow Sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact ammunition
« on: July 19, 2008, 06:38:59 am »

Since one of the most recent updates removed insanity from the use of masterwork ammo, it got me thinking.
Lots of fantasy stories have some sort of special arrows or sling bullets or such which the hero uses to slay some sort of ultimate monster.
A moody dwarf would make a single arrow, which could be appropriated by the fortresses best marksdwarf. Once fired at a target the arrow would have some obscene damage modifier, and would not be destroyed once shot into someone or something, and would always be retrievable. In the event the arrow doesn't kill something (which would usually be in the case of demons and megabeasts) it would stay stuck in them, unless they can pull it out and do what they will with it.
A dragon encountered in adventure mode could have an artifact arrow stuck in its flank from a previous encounter with a hero or a dwarf fortress, which the player could use once the dragon has been dealt with.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact ammunition
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:27:11 am »

"The dragon swooped once more lower than ever, and as he turned and dived down his
belly glittered white with sparkling fires of gems in the moon - but not in one place.
The great bow twanged. The black arrow sped straight from the string, straight for the hollow
by the left breast where the foreleg was flung wide. In it smote and vanished, barb, shaft,
and feather, so fierce was its flight. With a shriek that deafened men, felled trees, and split
stone, Smaug shot spouting into the air, turned over and crashed down from on high in ruin."

Adv mode I can see it....in Fort mode...wow another stack of 1 bolt.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 11:42:46 am »

Only once moods are sorted out for non-forts.
Lord knows we need more creation of stacks of ONE bolt.
Wathathafatha, "The Singed Battles", an artifact Adamantine bolt
In 1, Urist Uristurist went into a fey mood.
In 2, Urist Uristurist created Wathathafatha, "The Singed Battles", an artifact Adamantine bolt.
In 2, Urist Uristurist became a Weaponsmith.
In 3, The Duel of Gisep Mekgosbengel and Stasbo Furnaceheat the Fiery Wealth occurred.
In 3, Gisep Mekgosbengel shot Stasbo Furnaceheat the Fiery Wealth with Wathathafatha.
In 3, Stasbo Furnaceheat the Fiery Wealth was shot and killed by Gisep Mekgosbengel.
In 3, Gisep Mekgosbengel retrieved Wathathafatha.
Etc.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 11:44:30 am »

Once ranged weapons are more balanced, but as is it would just help make ranged weapons even MORE overpowered.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 12:09:59 pm »

Much more overpowered, considering legendary craftsdwarves are a dime a dozen.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 04:32:33 pm »

Why? They wouldn't all be legendary from creating artefact arrows.

(Artefact objects are not masterpeice objects, remember.)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 05:36:23 pm »

Actually, most of them WOULD be legendary from making an artifact arrow. And Artifacts aren't masterwork, they're BETTER than masterwork.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 12:58:52 am »

Actually, most of them WOULD be legendary from making an artifact arrow. And Artifacts aren't masterwork, they're BETTER than masterwork.
But not all of them, which is exactly what he said.
And masterwork objects are not artifacts.
This is about artifacts.  Masterworks would obviously work like normal.
And besides that, not every mood would turn out an arrow/bolt.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 12:40:08 pm »

Actually, most of them WOULD be legendary from making an artifact arrow.

Why's that?  It doesn't seem like they'd be any more likely than any other craft.  Wouldn't most of them be legendary for making a maple amulet decorated with an image of an amulet in maple, or some such?

And Artifacts aren't masterwork, they're BETTER than masterwork.

Precisely the point.  Legendary crafters can make many masterwork items, but only one Artifact.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 11:20:31 pm »

or maybe they could have the same damage/accuracy bonus as a normal artifact bolt but they return to the user after being fired (gameplay-wise they would just never actually leave the quiver I guess).

This would, of course, make archery even more horribly overpowered, but who cares it's not like champions have trouble with goblins at all anyway and it can all be balanced out whenever Toady gets around to balancing combat.

If anything a 1-bolt stack that my best archer kept grabbing would be a terrible disadvantage and I'd end up dropping the thing in a pit and walling over it, marksdwarves already run out of ammo too fast and end up beating the enemy with the crossbow more then shooting.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 11:40:12 pm »

You forget one thing... You may not want to use the artifact bolt...

Just imagine; A Hoard of Goblins and your Marksmen takes his bow in hand and aims at the Leader

He shoots slaying the Goblin King in a single blow when suddenly, The Goblins take the bolt and well... Bolt. Causing tantrums for not only the marksmen but for the creator as well.

Heck I could imagine if the Bolt missed a dragon that he could just grab it and go.

Of course this isn't including when artifacts will have legit powers. So that Bolt could return to sender or something.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 03:44:35 am »

Actually, most of them WOULD be legendary from making an artifact arrow.

Why's that?  It doesn't seem like they'd be any more likely than any other craft.  Wouldn't most of them be legendary for making a maple amulet decorated with an image of an amulet in maple, or some such?

Crafterdwarf makes arrow and becomes legendary.  Not the other way around.  Therefor, MOST dwarves that make artifact ammunition would be legendary.