Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pond on glacier to create icesculpture problems, help plz  (Read 681 times)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pond on glacier to create icesculpture problems, help plz
« on: July 22, 2008, 11:58:08 pm »

So, i've got this great 2x2 location (from version 38) part on a glacier and a tundra.
It has a aquifer so i figured i should make a icesculpture right in the middle of the map.
My plan was to make a massive 14 x 14 x 14 iceblock wich i could "sculpt" later (dig) and engrave.
The aquifer is located on the tundrasite wich lays on the left, first i constructed some stairs (on the left site of what was to become my block of ice) to the top from wich i can drop water. But after 4 or so z levels up were completed something strange happened, all of a sudden my dwarves canceled hauling water for my icesculpture, "building innapropriate" as the socalled reason. Normally this only occured when the "pond" was filled with water, yet it wasn't now, even stranger, exactly the left half of the pond was filled with ice deadcentered on the exact vertical line in the middle of the map wich i find to be extremely strange if it were to be pure luck. I tried numerous things including channeling the aquifer closer to where they need to drop the water, yet i failed making them cross this magical line of "cancel fill pond, building innapropriate" and i failed figuring out what causes this very strange behavior. If anyone can help giving the reason for this cancelation and/or the solution then that would be great, because as of now i worked tirelessly trying to make that icescultpure happen to strand on a pathetic 4 or so storyhigh block of ice.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:00:07 am by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pond on glacier to create icesculpture problems, help plz
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:51:25 am »

maybe the water is freezing in the buckets, check one of the dwarves inventory just after they cancel the job.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:14:34 am »

Don't think its that because the moment they gather water they cancel fill pond (before even going outside).
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:22:07 pm »

Update:
I built some stairs on the right side of my wouldbe sculpture and it fixed the problem. The funny thing is that they don't even use the newly built stairs and now continue to fill the pond via the exact same pathway they did before being "obstructed" by that "magical line", coupled with how strange it seemed to cancel filling the pond on the exact middle of the map i guess its because of some pathfinding bug.
I'll update if i run into a similar problem on levels above this one.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:33:44 pm »

do.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:42:50 am »

So far so good, at z level 7 now. I guess it was definately due to some strange pathfinding bug. No worries.