Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dystopian Rhetoric Screen request  (Read 7599 times)

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dystopian Rhetoric Screen request
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 06:01:39 pm »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/List_of_user_graphics_sets

first one on the list.. thats what each animal that has a custom image looks like.  There is no fort made of dwarves, goblins, undead or whatever. 

I think what the problem that is going on here is that you are assuming that the Dystopian Rhetoric Character Set is also a Tile Set... which it isn't.   Forts will look however the tile set makes them look, but the characters will look just like they do in that image on the wiki.  You are asking someone for something that really doesn't exist: a solely DR kit for all your visual needs.

So...
.. and was that such a hard thing to ask for?  People post hundred of images of half built fortresses all day long, yet there is still no image of a level done with the tile set...

...yes, it is hard to know what you want to see, and it IS best for you to spend the few minutes of your time (that you already spent a hundred fold, arguing with people in a forum) and set it up yourself.

Here, less than a minute for me to do it so you can do it too:

1) download the DIY link form the wiki (first on the list of links from the DR section or just click that DIY link on this line)
2) copy all the stuff from that graphics folder into your raw/graphics folder of your DF install and overwrite everything
3) open your init.txt and turn on the graphics: [GRAPHICS:NO] -> [GRAPHICS:YES]
4) start DF and see what it looks like.

Now, to see what it would look like with other Tile Sets, you must download those separately and again modify your init.txt file to use them.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2008, 01:51:52 am »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/List_of_user_graphics_sets

first one on the list.. thats what each animal that has a custom image looks like.  There is no fort made of dwarves, goblins, undead or whatever. 

I think what the problem that is going on here is that you are assuming that the Dystopian Rhetoric Character Set is also a Tile Set... which it isn't.   Forts will look however the tile set makes them look, but the characters will look just like they do in that image on the wiki.  You are asking someone for something that really doesn't exist: a solely DR kit for all your visual needs.

So...
.. and was that such a hard thing to ask for?  People post hundred of images of half built fortresses all day long, yet there is still no image of a level done with the tile set...

...yes, it is hard to know what you want to see, and it IS best for you to spend the few minutes of your time (that you already spent a hundred fold, arguing with people in a forum) and set it up yourself.

Here, less than a minute for me to do it so you can do it too:

1) download the DIY link form the wiki (first on the list of links from the DR section or just click that DIY link on this line)
2) copy all the stuff from that graphics folder into your raw/graphics folder of your DF install and overwrite everything
3) open your init.txt and turn on the graphics: [GRAPHICS:NO] -> [GRAPHICS:YES]
4) start DF and see what it looks like.

Now, to see what it would look like with other Tile Sets, you must download those separately and again modify your init.txt file to use them.

I don't need to know how to do it.  I don't understand why everyone keeps posting this over and over again.  I can do it myself, it's a pain IMHO to do it for every tileset and pick the one you like.  I asked for a simple preview and was berated for it.  I thought that someone could post a simple picture and this thread be done.  Thanks to the incredible lack of reading though, everyone keeps posting the same instructions over and over again on how to download and set them up which wasn't the original intent of the thread.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2008, 03:40:10 am »

I don't need to know how to do it.  I don't understand why everyone keeps posting this over and over again.  I can do it myself, it's a pain IMHO to do it for every tileset and pick the one you like.  I asked for a simple preview and was berated for it.  I thought that someone could post a simple picture and this thread be done.  Thanks to the incredible lack of reading though, everyone keeps posting the same instructions over and over again on how to download and set them up which wasn't the original intent of the thread.

Are you bothering to read what is being said? There must be SOME reason people keep saying the same thing to you. Example screen shots for practically all of the tile sets, are there.

What you are asking for is not something readily available or even totally known by anyone other than you.  YOU want to combine different sets of graphics and tiles and whatever for your own look. It is up to you to find that, not anyone else.  If the look of the game is so important to you, you should invest a bit of your own time... if you don't, it's obviously not that important to you.

I'm done, I told you how to do it. It can take around 15 min to download all the interesting looking tile sets into your art folder and then systematically go through them all with the DR graphics set enabled to find the one you like best.  I know, because I just did it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2008, 06:28:14 am »

Geez, guys, stop feeding trolls. We have an intelligent one here but the fact that he knows how to spell properly and how to describe his point of view still doesn't prevent him from being a troll.

I guess I just need to stop playing the game.  As much as that sounds like a crime it would definitely give me time to do some of what I want to do.  It's just.. so.. hard to stop.
Man, why should we care if you stop playing the game? It's your personal matter and for a god's sake, don't try to make us feel that you're more important than other good people who don't play it because they don't like it. The taste is a personal matter and noone will accuse you of not being "special" if you don't like something, it's normal.

Damn I feed the troll again.
Guys, stop and think, WHAT IS THIS THREAD ABOUT? It's definitely not "about Dystopian Rhetoric Tileset request" thread, it continues on many pages like a flamewar.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.S. OMG, I've posted a JPG image! How to save it as BMP?!
P.P.S. The Moin was funnier :(.
P.P.P.S.  So... tired...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 04:16:18 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
case closed
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 06:57:42 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1929-tourtin
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2104-leafwork

enjoy
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:05:19 am by Red Jackard »
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: case closed
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 10:45:35 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1929-tourtin
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2104-leafwork

enjoy
Thank you Red!!

And Deon, you've been reported.  I find your tone and attitude toward me demeaning and offensive.  I asked for a simple request, you've constantly talked down to me and now you are calling me a troll and an idiot.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 10:59:16 am »

I guess I just need to stop playing the game.  As much as that sounds like a crime it would definitely give me time to do some of what I want to do.  It's just.. so.. hard to stop.
Man, why should we care if you stop playing the game? It's your personal matter and for a god's sake, don't try to make us feel that you're more important than other good people who don't play it because they don't like it. The taste is a personal matter and noone will accuse you of not being "special" if you don't like something, it's normal.
+1.

(I love how certain people feel the need to tout their jobs/who they work for in order to somehow give weight to their opinions. If what you have to say has merit, it'll have all the weight it needs.)

Red Jackard was kind enough to search for things so Andir wouldn't be bothered to do so himself. I'd say more, but I'm not expending further energy on this nonsense other than to say I had no idea search was so damned complex for a computer science god!

Feel free to report me, too, Andir, because I've found your tone and attitude towards several people in this thread condescending and pompous. Maybe I should report you for that! That's what children do, right?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 11:03:27 am »

With all due respect, Andir, this thread was about nothing. What you asked for in this thread, you could have much easier gotten for yourself by downloading and installing the tileset. I won't go so far as to call you an idiot, but your request made you look inept and at most inproficient at using a PC, and technically speaking, not quite interested enough in the tileset, or DF, if you can't bring yourself to overcome the rather straightforward technical difficulties the alpha state of the game implants on you.

Sometimes I want to be mod here, so the modding forum wouldn't be flamewar battlegrounds.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 11:05:58 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2008, 12:14:16 pm »

OK I'm reported, but what now?

And what's wrong? The thing that I was upset by your tone when I tried to help you or the thing that I tried to stop flamewar which is here because of you? Thanks again and it proves my point.

I didn't want to harm your dignity but it became too funny for me as for an adult man.
Reported by a troll. Funny.

However I must admit that we took part in it too so we're indirectly guilty in it too. It's just too hard to hear the same ranting when you tried to explain everything and you can't understand how it could be explained better. When the person acts this way (ignoring every answer and common sense) it mean to things: 1) Either he is not clever enough to understand what everyone tries to give him or 2) he means that we're mentally ill because we can't explain simple things to the developer from a huge company. I personally accept this as an insult.

The best answer (except ignoring the questioner which way I don't like) would be to use 2 words: "use Search" and stop this thread with this.
And I respect Red Jackard for being such an unbiased person, he tries to help while others are already yelling at each other like in some toilet reality show :D.

P.S. And I'd like to see Sean as a mod too. He's a reasonable adult man with a programming experience and a nice sense of humor. The only bad side of this would be that he'd insert "play my modbase" in every post he edits :P. Oh my, he's already inserted it in my signature!  :o.

P.P.S. More on topic
You've complained about everything in different files/folders.
Well, HERE is the prepacked version with the tileset installed for the people without a willing to customize their game.
If you want to switch graphics tileset on/off go to /data/init/init.txt and find a [GRAPHICS:] token.
The correct syntax is [GRAPHICS:NO] or [GRAPHICS:YES].
The dffd.wimbli.com is the main file hosting site for df for now so you'll find many things there (in categories).
(Red Jackard already mentioned this site but I gave you a direct link because you provide an expression of a man who doesn't like to search by himself :)).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:53:15 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2008, 03:48:02 pm »

OK I'm reported, but what now?

And what's wrong? The thing that I was upset by your tone when I tried to help you or the thing that I tried to stop flamewar which is here because of you? Thanks again and it proves my point.

I didn't want to harm your dignity but it became too funny for me as for an adult man.
Reported by a troll. Funny.

However I must admit that we took part in it too so we're indirectly guilty in it too. It's just too hard to hear the same ranting when you tried to explain everything and you can't understand how it could be explained better. When the person acts this way (ignoring every answer and common sense) it mean to things: 1) Either he is not clever enough to understand what everyone tries to give him or 2) he means that we're mentally ill because we can't explain simple things to the developer from a huge company. I personally accept this as an insult.

The best answer (except ignoring the questioner which way I don't like) would be to use 2 words: "use Search" and stop this thread with this.
And I respect Red Jackard for being such an unbiased person, he tries to help while others are already yelling at each other like in some toilet reality show :D.

P.S. And I'd like to see Sean as a mod too. He's a reasonable adult man with a programming experience and a nice sense of humor. The only bad side of this would be that he'd insert "play my modbase" in every post he edits :P. Oh my, he's already inserted it in my signature!  :o.

P.P.S. More on topic
You've complained about everything in different files/folders.
Well, HERE is the prepacked version with the tileset installed for the people without a willing to customize their game.
If you want to switch graphics tileset on/off go to /data/init/init.txt and find a [GRAPHICS:] token.
The correct syntax is [GRAPHICS:OFF] or [GRAPHICS:ON].
The dffd.wimbli.com is the main file hosting site for df for now so you'll find many things there (in categories).
(Red Jackard already mentioned this site but I gave you a direct link because you provide an expression of a man who doesn't like to search by himself :)).
Jesus Christ Dude.  It's not about doing a search.  It's about making a request for an image.  Before I download and install all kinds of mods and crap for my installation, I made a VERY SIMPLE request.  You've turned this into a "make a man look the fool" thread.  For that, you are the only troll here.  I find it hilariously funny that you claim the OP is a troll to his own thread.  Pot meet kettle, I guess.

I suggest you leave this thread and quit spreading false information as well.  For the record, it's [GRAPHICS:YES] or [GRAPHICS:NO], not ON or OFF.  (at least according to the file and every resource I did find on it when I DID search for an image of someone's fortress that was using it as the ORIGINAL POST in this thread requested.

I'm done here as you seem to have taken the thread off topic by trying to explain how to get the image instead of actually providing it all the while talking down to me then berating me then trying to take it back off topic again by berating me again.  Grow up.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2008, 03:52:51 pm »

I suggest you leave this thread and quit spreading false information as well.  For the record, it's [GRAPHICS:YES] or [GRAPHICS:NO], not ON or OFF.  (at least according to the file and every resource I did find on it when I DID search for an image of someone's fortress that was using it as the ORIGINAL POST in this thread requested.
Fixed.

Also I was too affected by emotions in my posts so I made some nice trolling here too, and I feel sad about it.

The main problem of my first post here was that I've got "The only thing I can tell form the wiki tileset image is the look of the creatures" wrong.
I thought that you meant:
"The only thing I can tell from the wiki THAT a tileset image is the look of the creatures."
I tried to explain you that a tileset image is not only the look of the creatures but also a character set.
You, in response, thought that I'm trying to insult you explaining you simple things ("Please don't talk down to me like I'm a moron just as Deon has done.") and that's how it was started.

I suggest for us to think that we brought each other some apologies for being too nasty and stop this already.

Also I didn't see anyone answering your question:
On top of that, there's some kind of "language mod" that allows you to "fix" the tiles replacing characters problem?
It's just a replacement of special symbols in language files. I did it manually with search and replace in notepad++.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 04:02:35 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2008, 03:56:52 pm »

I would object here. A simple request, in a MODDING forum, implies help with MODDING. Already there you are at fault. Additionally, you request what? A screenshot of a tileset? Please, tell me, what could have gone wrong with your install of DF, had you actually tried to download and install the set? It's not like it would cause you to lose the saves, or cost you something.
Now, if it were up to me to decide, I'd probably lock the thread and point you over to General Discussions.

P.S. what country are you from? Because you're basically trying to fight two russians... :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2008, 04:05:14 pm »

Sean, Sean, haha, stop it please =).
Yes, it's not so much modding here. But we don't have moderators too. The thread is just in a wrong thread and there's some misunderstanding here which led some emotional people to a hard language fight. And I DON"T WANT TO FIGHT =))).

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Jackard/Accent_Removal
The "language mod" description.

P.S. Damn it, I'm too overexcited with the things which are not worth of it. The main indication that I'm not all right is that I constantly edit my last message and add things.

This thread led me to this meme:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's about the interface thing and how it's important NOW.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 04:15:38 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 2 [3]