Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zozkogan - Volcanic Island Fortress  (Read 1172 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Zozkogan - Volcanic Island Fortress
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:58:14 pm »

Note: This is not a succession game or community fortress as such. Just a fortress on an interesting location that i thought i'd share.

Log of Olon Roofhoisted

18th Timber, 273:
I can't believe this. Sure our people have dreams of the sea, but this is ridiculous. Our great Queen Tholtig Dodokenas has purchased an island on the other end of the world from the humans of The Confederacy of Bites (Apparently named for the way they divvy up their land. I don't really understand it.) This would normally only puzzle me, but they've chosen me to lead the expedition to this island, The Scoured Land. Now that's a name to inspire confidence.

I'm frankly perplexed by my choosing. I'm just an apprentice of the miner's guild. Alath, who has also been roped into this mad undertaking, says she heard that the Queen had told her aides to grab a handful of miners to send off. I believe Alath of course, we're almost like sisters.

So me, Alath and five other miner's apprentices are to travel all the way down to the human town of Onustado to take a boat down to Zozkogan, the name they chose for our would be settlement. I'm sure we'll do lots of pondering on the boat there, but i'll take us all winter to get there. As if it wasn't bad enough, they're making us go there in winter!

25th Obsidian, 273:

We've finally arrived at Onustado. Only a day's boatride down to the island. The locals talk about the island being volcanic, which is somewhat heartening. The humans don't understand how i could mean this, volcanoes are merely a danger to be avoided to them. I've also heard that the island is well forested and many deer roam there. For some reason the humans shun the island (hence the name) and will only consent to bringing us and traders from the mountainhomes there. Must be their distrust of volcanoes.
We're to take the journey at the end of the month, once the weather clears a little. This may not be so bad, islands are pretty safe and the volcano will save us from having to make charcoal. At least we won't have to worry about kobolds and goblins.

1st Granite, 274:

Why weren't we told of this before!? To our great dismay, the sailors aboard our vessel just informed us that there is a cave full of giant bats and giant cave swallows on the island. Worse still there is also a giant... well, giant.

I've asked around the ship, and they happened to have a record of this giant's exploits.

Turns out that Kesting the Climax of Courage has never actively sought out harm for others, but has twice been attacked and left his cave after chasing off his assailant. He appears to have retreaded to this island to get away from all the annoying adventurers. He won't be happy to have a group of dwarves squatting on his turf i wager. No wonder they don't want to set foot on this island.

Dangers aside, we have no choice but to pull the wagon up the white sand beach and wave goodbye to the ship.

7th Granite:

We've been pretty busy digging a hasty cave in the seaside cliffs to bring our supplies into. A trio of raccoons had been hanging around, but our pack animals made them too nervous to actually grab anything. Unfortunately our muskox and horse decided to wander off a ways today and i told Thob to stand guard over the wagon. He killed all three raccoons once they got too close. I'll have to get someone to butcher the corpses so as not to waste them. I'm just worried that the giant will follow the raccoons' example...

20th Granite:

We've managed to bring in all the supplies and dug a shaft straight down to sample the stone here by the beach. A few layers of dirt and sand, then some layers of obsidian follow by layers of other stone. Of interest is a vein of garnierite we've dug through on the way down, and a vein of galena.

More importantly, Alath had the perfect idea for how to keep ourselves safe from the cave denizens. She said we should just build a floor over the cave entrance to lock the whole lot of them in. It was done successfully and without incidence. Won't have to worry about them until we can take them.

For now we'll just stay in this rat and roach filled hole and dig out some stone. I plan on digging out the fortress proper next to the volcano eventually. Until then, we'll just have to put up with Mosus' screams whenever she sees a rat. We've been catching the things as fast as we can and putting them in a cage, but they just keep coming. I've heard horror stories of cats overflowing a fortress, so we didn't bring any. We'll probably be happy of the snacks in the long run anyways.

(I'd just like to note that i myself am male, Olon just turned out to be female. Also, while the island does only occupy a single region tile, some parts of it touch the edges of the map and should allow migrants and traders to arrive from the mountain homes. I've observed tons of deer and foxes wandering in, much to the horror of my FPS. I'll only update when interesting stuff happens.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:24:36 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Zozkogan - Volcanic Island Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:16:48 am »

28th Felsite, 274:

Crops of quarry bushes, plump helmets and sweet pods that we had planted are being harvested. I also chose the future site of the fortress's entrance at a natural cliff by the obsidian beach near the volcano. Have given Mosus the axe we have and sent her off to cut down trees to lessen the frequency of her screams.

While Rovod and her lover Melbil's interest in each other was known since partway through our journey here, Mosus and Thob now show an interest for each other. I think it has something to do with Thob rescuing Mosus from a rat or something, the big lug. That means both of the men here are tied up, for what it's worth.

We've all been sharing our barracks/dining room, which has only obsidian furniture, which has a pleasing gleam. The two obsidian statues next to the doorway are a good touch too. None of it is of particularly good craftdwarfship, but it's pretty good for untrained miners.

15th Hematite, 274:

While doing some exploratory mining, we struck native aluminum! Also some pyrite. Nobody is very sklled at mining as of now, so i'm making sure that nobody touches it yet. To celebrate, i'm having another obsidian statue put in the dining room.

21st Galena, 274:

I've had a windmill and millstone set up to mill our excess sweet pods and cave wheat since we have an excess of bags made from our pigtail harvest and the raccoons. The thought of sugar roasts makes my mouth water, though i prefer perch and dwarven cheese. But sweet things are sweet things.

1st Limestone, 274:

We've been making obsidian trade goods in anticipation of the coming traders, along with the three racoon skull totems. I've ordered a small batch of obsidian swords to be made for good measure, though we may keep those for ourselves.

27th Limestone, 274:

A group of seasick looking traders arrived today. They didn't have much that we wanted, but we traded away all our obsidian trade goods for a few barrels of booze, iron bars and a barrel of dwarven syrup to make sure the traders didn't make too much of a profit.

Talking to the outpost liason revealed something fairly disheartening: The mountainhomes had no flux to trade. I don't think we'll find any on this godsforsaken island either. So it looks like the only steel we'll get is going to be traded from the mountainhomes (they must bring in flux from a neighboring civilization). The liason also requested some pretty weird items.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:24:29 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.