Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A character set request.  (Read 2372 times)

Hanuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A character set request.
« on: July 19, 2008, 11:52:54 pm »

Hello, all. I don't know if anyone has made one already but I am looking for a character set that is a square version of the curses_800x600.bmp. I know there is a 16x16 character set included with DF but I want one that I would be able to run in a window at a nice resolution without distortion. So far I have not been able to find one and would love if someone could point me to one or make one.

Thank you.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: A character set request.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 12:35:42 am »

Well, as far as making one yourself goes, take the tileset's .bmp, load it into an image editor like Photoshop, or Paint Shop Pro, scale it down to whatever size you want (I personally play 12x12), clean it up a bit, then save, as a 24-bit bmp without compression.

Other than that, you can find the tilesets on this page. If you're running Explorer, right click on a tileset you like, select save picture, save as bmp. Then open the thing in paint, select Save As, choose 24-bit bmp from the file type dropdown, and save as that.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Hanuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 02:55:37 am »

Well, as far as making one yourself goes, take the tileset's .bmp, load it into an image editor like Photoshop, or Paint Shop Pro, scale it down to whatever size you want (I personally play 12x12), clean it up a bit, then save, as a 24-bit bmp without compression.

Other than that, you can find the tilesets on this page. If you're running Explorer, right click on a tileset you like, select save picture, save as bmp. Then open the thing in paint, select Save As, choose 24-bit bmp from the file type dropdown, and save as that.

I appreciate the replay but I am not skilled enough with image editing to make one myself. I have already been looking for what I want on the wiki but nobody seems to have made one.

It should be relatively simple to make, I just do not have the skill. I am basically looking for a 12x12 version of the curses set. If anyone has the skill to make one and post it on the wiki or DF download site it would be wonderful.

What 12x12 tileset do you use by the way? I don't really like any of the ones I saw on the wiki but I wouldn't mind a recommendation.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 03:07:51 am »

I'll try to make it now. It depends on avaliability of the photoshop on my 2nd work computer (I'm at work now and have nothing to do).

It's sad, you can't simply resize curses_square_16x16.bmp because it deforms symbols =(.
But why didn't you like this one from the wiki page the Sean had shown you?
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/images/0/04/Unknown_curses_12x12.png
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 03:20:01 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hanuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 03:34:12 am »

I'll try to make it now. It depends on avaliability of the photoshop on my 2nd work computer (I'm at work now and have nothing to do).

It's sad, you can't simply resize curses_square_16x16.bmp because it deforms symbols =(.
But why didn't you like this one from the wiki page the Sean had shown you?
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/images/0/04/Unknown_curses_12x12.png
Edit:Don't even worry about making it anymore. I figure out an easy way to make what I wanted and now it is done!

Thank you for pointing me to that tileset because I ended up using it as a base for mine and was able to fix it up just the way I wanted.

Get the tileset here ----->http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=318

Does anyone know how to post to the wiki? I would like it to be added to the sets for people that want to use it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 04:24:38 am by Hanuman »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 06:43:00 am »

Register there and use "Edit" function. Post your creation under others' works. There's a special "wiki syntax" but it's easy to understand if you look at something which is already present in "edit" mode.

[EDIT] Nevermind, I've added it.
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/List_of_user_character_sets#Hanuman
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:52:11 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Hanuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 07:30:06 am »

Register there and use "Edit" function. Post your creation under others' works. There's a special "wiki syntax" but it's easy to understand if you look at something which is already present in "edit" mode.

[EDIT] Nevermind, I've added it.
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/List_of_user_character_sets#Hanuman
Thank you for adding it to the wiki. I had just given in and made an account and was getting ready to add my tileset when I saw someone had added it already. Oh well. I Didn't really want to make a wiki account just to post that but what can you do?

P.S. Sorry for the duel threads. If someone wants to delete one of then feel free.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 07:43:13 am »

Noone deletes threads here I guess (exception can be made for flamewars/swearing threads).
I just wanted to remind you that feature, some users don't know about the ability to rename your own thread.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Hanuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 09:21:31 am »

Noone deletes threads here I guess (exception can be made for flamewars/swearing threads).
I just wanted to remind you that feature, some users don't know about the ability to rename your own thread.
Good call; thank you. I was not aware of that feature. A lot of the other boards I am signed up with do not allow renaming.