Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using subjugated warriors  (Read 691 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Using subjugated warriors
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:02:17 pm »

So, in my modding I've noticed that most of the races that use slaves and do babysnatching frequently end up almost extinct with a large population of subjugated creatures. I'm guessing that most of the original race dies in battle.

So, it would make sense both from a creature survival standpoint and a historical standpoint if these races would send subjugated/assimilated creatures into battle in preference of their own warriors. They'd still lead the attacks, I'd imagine, but they'd use available warriors of other races before their own.

This would cut down on the huge number of civs that I see with only a handful, or none, of the actual parent race still around by the time the game starts. And that's as early as 150 on a large map with some of my tests.

As a later goal, having any subjugated/slave warriors using substandard equipment compared to the races own soldiers would also make a lot of sense.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using subjugated warriors
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 01:47:01 am »

This has my vote.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 02:37:25 am »

This is a great idea. I get a little sick of seeing "goblin" forces comprised entirely of humans. At the very least maybe goblinised nongoblins could get hyphenated names. Human-goblins, or something (like japanese-canadians)
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 06:10:58 am »

You have my axe.  ;)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:38:32 pm »

This isn't revolutionary in the context of human warfare: the British and French had piles of colonial troops during WW1/2.  In WW2, for example, Indians fought for both the Nazi Reich and the British Empire (with a 10-fold advantage for the Brits).

In DF, I could see troops pressed into combat being useful cannon fodder, but not well motivated (I mean, they are slaves after all).  But, in the long term, their children could be made to think that fighting for their parents captor is the right thing to do (take them from their parents, drop them in a Spartan-style creche, etc.) for whatever reason.

This has my vote!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 12:12:42 am »

"Fight, and if you win, you can go free!"

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 02:23:27 am »

Actually, and I think this has been discussed before, the problem is that subjugated persons don't have the reproduction cap that the original civ does. I could be wrong, I lost track of that thread and didn't read much more than the first post.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 09:58:48 am »

One of the things that helped start the Revolutionary war was that the British were stealing our sailors for use in their own wars. This makes sense, and I second it. Or seventh it, whatever.