Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39a-c] Slaves population out of control, slavers go extinct  (Read 1142 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile

I've finally figured out the cause of this issue.
The problem appears to be a combination of the slaves not being used as throwaway troops in wars, and the existing population caps for towns.

Slave races don't seem to respect the town population limit of a civ. For instance, in my mod I once had 1500 titans to an avari site with a limit of 200 population.
The game seems to track the total population but only restrains the wanton breeding of the master population. Therefore, they can never have a significant population in any town, and the town is overtaken by slaves.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [39a-c] Slaves population out of control, slavers go extinct
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:11:42 pm »

It doesn't differentiate the populations vs. the cap, but the cap is soft like some of the other caps.

They probably shouldn't remain as slaves when they have no masters though.  This is quite true.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:23:28 am »

It doesn't differentiate the populations vs. the cap, but the cap is soft like some of the other caps.

They probably shouldn't remain as slaves when they have no masters though.  This is quite true.

Probably phrasing it wrong. They don't show as slaves.
If we use the goblins for an example, they will take human slaves and such, and eventually a human population will become part of the fortress. This human population ignores the cap, whilst the goblins appear to obey it.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 03:11:44 pm »

In my (heavily modded) game, not one baby snatcher civ (I have three such civs) has any of the "master" races left alive. I have goblin civs thriving with not a single surviving goblin.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:13:26 pm by Fleeb »
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 09:10:13 pm »

Ah, for gobs, those aren't slaves.  They are prisoners converted into full society members.  But as for the main point, the gobs are just being outbred, and they kidnap more than they have children.  It's a balance thing.  The same soft cap is in effect for all of them, since race isn't even queried during pregnancy checks.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!