Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: place unbuildable items  (Read 1201 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
place unbuildable items
« on: July 17, 2008, 12:54:51 am »

I have a bad feeling that this may be one of those topics that's come up about a million times, but franky I can't think of any search terms for it that don't produce about a million irrelevant results. So here goes.

I would like an option to individually place items that cannot be built, such as earrings, clothes, bars/blocks, weapons, whatever. That way a military dwarf could be buried with his sword, favored dwarves could have items they like placed in their rooms (which then become thiers), a noble's room could be improved by an artifact crown or whatever. They would still technically be not built, but dwarves would not put them back in a stockpile unless you "unplaced" them somehow.

So, feasible? Not feasible? Not worth Toady's effort? Not worth a comment? What do you think?

Hackenslacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: place unbuildable items
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 01:27:25 am »

A very specific stockpile on the tile you want the item. You make need to use the "[t]ake from stockpile" option if the item is already in another stockpile, as well as possibly [f]orbidding other similar items. To "unbuild" the item, you'd remove the stockpile. To keep the item where it is, you can forbid it.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 01:44:12 am »

Yeah, I knew someone would suggest that. And, btw, I think it's even easier to just dump the item where you want it, deactivating all the dump zones you don't want it to go in first. But I was thinking of something that required a little less micromanagement, and was more part of the game, so to speak. That is, less tricking the game into doing what you want, more being able to do whatever you want within the game.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:41:04 pm »

I like the idea.

Hmm...maybe an option when an item is selected to assign it to a room? Kind of like the Take from Stockpile option, where you then move the cursor around and it highlights rooms until you pick where you want it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 04:39:51 pm »

I'd prefer an option to assign an object to a dwarf.  Then the dwarf could choose where it went, and perhaps you could mark it for bury with dwarf vs pass on to heirs.  This would also segue nicely into assigning armor/weapons to dwarves. Then you could also remove owner ship and clean up all those wrestlers' socks.   And nobles could demand/require specific items made for them, like the King could request a crown. So many birds, so few stones.

UI-wise, I'm imagining a k-a menu, much like the q-a menu, where you can choose who it goes to.  For making something a public good again you'd use k-f, just like q-f.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:58:25 pm »

I'd prefer an option to assign an object to a dwarf.  Then the dwarf could choose where it went, and perhaps you could mark it for bury with dwarf vs pass on to heirs.  This would also segue nicely into assigning armor/weapons to dwarves. Then you could also remove owner ship and clean up all those wrestlers' socks.   And nobles could demand/require specific items made for them, like the King could request a crown. So many birds, so few stones.

UI-wise, I'm imagining a k-a menu, much like the q-a menu, where you can choose who it goes to.  For making something a public good again you'd use k-f, just like q-f.
I like this idea muchly, and have heard similar things before. Only suggested change: if a dwarf buys something with its own money, it has to be impossible to de-assign it... but buying things should otherwise work the same as assigning.

also perhaps a dwarf's personal horde of wealth does not include things that you assign to him. Only things he earns.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:06:22 pm »

Can we build skull totems yet? Like stick them in the ground al-la statue? If not, then I like this suggestion.