Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf is more experienced  (Read 582 times)

Hussell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf is more experienced
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:18:04 pm »

"<Dwarf> is more experienced." messages are confusing. I suspect at first most people think this means the dwarf has gained a level in a skill.

I suggest changing the message to "<Dwarf> is now <attribute level>." or something similar. E.g, "Urist Ducimadil, Potash Maker is now very strong."

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf is more experienced
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 04:15:24 pm »

Would anyone miss it much if it was completely removed? Feels a bit immersion-breaking to announce that a dwarf "gained a level" when the stats are mostly in the background, unseen but active.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 04:20:20 pm »

I'd miss it. I like to know how strong/agile/tough certain dwarves are getting, and I think changing the message to "Urist is now Very Strong" etc. is a good idea.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 05:02:55 pm »

I would also like notifications for "Urist is now an Acomplished Underwater Basketweaver", for my part.

Hussell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 06:36:24 pm »

I can see the argument for turning them off. When you have a large fortress, you're constantly bombarded with these messages, and skill level messages would happen even more frequently. Maybe the solution is to allow the user to turn various types of messages on and off themselves. I think Toady suggested he was planning to put some options in init.txt for this. (Along with adding more info to "Store item in bin job cancelled: item misplaced" messages.)

It would certainly be nice to be able to turn off combat messages from combat that's happening where you can't see it in adventure mode. I've found several goblin dark fortresses on chasms, and wading through the constant combat messages while searching for your target is really annoying.

Oh well. All I can say is: I hope we don't have to wait until the interface arc to get some improvements in this area.