Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39a] No fish on embark screen  (Read 1801 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39a] No fish on embark screen
« on: July 15, 2008, 02:34:02 am »

As the topic says, I had no fish in my embark screen. There was "carp meat" and such, but that doesn't generate any bones or shell. There was no turtle or cave fish or any of the old staples.

By the way, how do you even get "carp meat"? It seems impossible to kill carps where you can get the corpse. Even then, wouldn't you just prepare the fish?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: [39a] No fish on embark screen
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 06:12:57 am »

Carp is big aminal. Fsih is vemrin. Big aminal mkae maet, fsih vemrin mkae fsih ietm. Tpyos are itnenotianl.

Bet you can still read that.  ;)

I always wondered at 'turtle meat' and 'sailfin molly meat', etc. though.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:02:56 am »

Caravans don't offer whole fish either, just fish meat like the embark screen. I wish they still did because I like having a constant source to make bone bolts, and not all maps are suitable for fishing. In the old version fish was the main thing that I'd always ask the caravans for.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 07:19:03 am »

Many times my initial stack of 50 Turtles is my only source of shell for the entire game. I hope it goes back in.

Beacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf-Beacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 07:39:12 am »

I need my turtles!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 02:53:11 pm »

Many times my initial stack of 50 Turtles is my only source of shell for the entire game. I hope it goes back in.

Heh! Back in my day, we had to MAKE turtles by painstakingly hauling buckets of water from the river into dried-up ponds. Then, we prayed that somehow turtles would appear, spontaneously generated from the water, and lo and behold they were!
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

ZP_Doinkus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 03:13:41 pm »

Heh! Back in my day, we had to MAKE turtles by painstakingly hauling buckets of water from the river into dried-up ponds. Then, we prayed that somehow turtles would appear, spontaneously generated from the water, and lo and behold they were!
You think you had it rough? When I was your age, we didn't have buckets. We had to carry the water in our mouths as we walked, barefoot, through 7/7 snow and ice. It was so cold that the water would sometimes freeze in our mouths by the time we got there. If we ran really quickly, we'd arrive just in time to spit the water out before it froze. Once it was in the shallow hole, we had to rub wooden swords against claystone for hours just to warm the ice enough to make a shallow pond. The way you people bitch and moan - we would have thought ourselves lucky to have !!XXrope reed sandalsXX!! - at least those would have spared the wear and tear on our wooden swords and claystones.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 06:32:46 am »

Okay, I'll note it down.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 03:13:39 pm »

I found turtles to also be missing from the goods I can request from the liaison, along with cave lobsters.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 04:00:10 am »

All right, this is fixed for next time.  I messed something up when doing the new butcherability ethics.  Of course, if you still think butchering a turtle is right, you should look one in the eye and ask yourself where your heart is.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 05:42:03 am »

*while drinking turtle soup*

My heart? It's here, in my chest. My stomach is full too.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:46:48 am »

...and yet there's cat & dog meat. I'm imagining a Dwarf Butcher getting his work orders:
"Kill Sparky the Turtle? You horrible, horrible monster! I'd never! Now haul that sack of kittens over here! Hit it with this *Steel Hammer* until it stops meowing!"

Not that I'm complaining... it's extra-awesome. 8)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 08:42:16 am »

All right, this is fixed for next time.  I messed something up when doing the new butcherability ethics.  Of course, if you still think butchering a turtle is right, you should look one in the eye and ask yourself where your heart is.

Of course butchering a turtle is wrong.  Anyone will tell you that. 
You need a fish cleaner to do it. 

Union rules.