Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39b]Sturgeons as viscous as carp  (Read 1498 times)

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
[39b]Sturgeons as viscous as carp
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:50:21 am »

So I embark near a river, with a road and a bridge over it. (No aquafier either.) So i start setting up a place and giving dwarves outside jobs. Then out of nowhere, I get spammed with messages about my dwarves being interrupted by a sturgeon. The little bugger was just swimming like mad, somehow killed 3 of my 7 dwarves, and I abandonded.

Why the hell are fish so strong?

Zenatrul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39b]Sturgeons as viscous as carp
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:52:15 am »

They have all have 1 to 6 bite damage. I once modded a Greater Carp which had armor and did like 3 to 9 damage. Thankfully I never met one.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 12:12:12 pm »

Why the hell are fish so strong?

This is Dwarf Fortress, what did you expect?   ;D
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 12:17:04 pm »

Sturgeons as viscous as carp

I think they're all the same material and size, it would make sense for them to have the same density and viscosity... :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

fmunoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wesnoth.org
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 12:28:49 pm »

Wikiquote....
Sturgeon have been referred to as both the Leviathans and Methuselahs of freshwater fish. They are among the largest fish: some beluga (Huso huso) in the Caspian Sea reportedly attain over 5.5 m and 2000 kg[6] while for kaluga (H. dauricus) in the Amur River similar lengths and over 1000 kg weights have been reported.[7] They are also probably the longest-lived of the fishes, some living well over 100 years and attaining sexual maturity at 20 years or more.[8] The combination of slow growth and reproductive rates and the extremely high value placed on mature egg-bearing females make sturgeon particularly vulnerable to overfishing.
These buggers are BIG!

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:44:49 pm »

I went to the abondonded site later in adventure mode and noticed that the motherfucker leapt out of the water and killed a dwarf 20 feet away from the pond.

I thought toady fixed the fish in this version...

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 01:53:55 pm »

I went to the abondonded site later in adventure mode and noticed that the motherfucker leapt out of the water and killed a dwarf 20 feet away from the pond.

I thought toady fixed the fish in this version...

Indeed, their lack of range was a most unfortunate oversight. Now the aquatic elephants are properly armed to defend themselves.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 02:12:48 am »

Sturgeons as viscous as carp

I think they're all the same material and size, it would make sense for them to have the same density and viscosity... :)

Hehehehe

Marasmusine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:43:01 am »

With my first game of 39b, my entire starting group and first wave of immigrants were pulled into the river and killed by a sturgeon (with the few survivors going insane with grief.) According to Legends, the sturgeon also had a name. Is that right? Was it some kind of epic fish, or do all fish have names?

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 04:50:13 am »

With my first game of 39b, my entire starting group and first wave of immigrants were pulled into the river and killed by a sturgeon (with the few survivors going insane with grief.) According to Legends, the sturgeon also had a name. Is that right? Was it some kind of epic fish, or do all fish have names?

Creatures gain names from killing entities.

In my latest unfortunate adventurer, a giant cave bat single-handedly destroyed my fortress. It gained the maximum number of names, 3. (Note to self: make crossbows!)