Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Crafting: Time vs. Quality  (Read 2251 times)

vanarbulax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crafting: Time vs. Quality
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 08:40:37 pm »

While I do agree that dwarves are on the artisitc side I think they are highly practical as well, if your going to make wooden bolts for training you don't want to put all your effort in to making masterpieces for them just to be shoot at a target once and then thrown away. It should suit the need best so in this case an bolt which just flies straight would be the most sensible and the dwarf could focus on other work.

I do think if a dwarf doesn't make a work to their maximum abilities in a while then it should be an unhappy thought made something like "was given boring tasks all month". But remember people quantity has a certain quality in itself.

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 09:46:42 pm »

Tell me Gimli wasn't a softy!?! That tolkiens dwarves weren't heartbroken that the crafts of elden days no longer saw the light of torches or had admirers? That their beautifully engraved walls, that their primary goal in life is to make aid or witness a wonder of ARTifice. (the only two grudged pairs i noticed so far in DF were "Value art highly" "doesn' value art highly") [that no sin was too foul to get their hands on the masterworks of the noldodododo.]

Still, dwarves are also nothing if not practical, mining doesn't automatically produce smooth stone or engravings, [hah] because the practical part must be done first, whereas in kraftwerk, everything is done at once. Toady has levels of improvement, but the base item qualities are automatic, (there was a great nurgle themed short story called the black tarn, btw.) and higher quality comes from lots of previous work put in so [......] support of quality taking time so the issue simply seems to me to be the frequency of superdwarves, still, this is related to how people play that game, I don't suppose many people who've been playing long leave hauling jobs on for dwarves they wish to get skilled, which increases the speed with which most dwarves "level" by degrees. So, blame yourself, hah. Exceptions ofcourse seeming to be engravers and miners, maybe other trades i havent noticed yet.

Paragraphs? Who needs em.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 10:42:14 pm »

Well, interface-wise, then I think it'd best be implemented the same way Repeat-Build and Suspend Production currently are - queue up, say, stone short swords, then hit (R)epeat, and maybe a number to specify desired quality/speed. Or queue up a few doors, then set their target qualities with a few keystrokes.

That's about as clean and hassle free as you can get, I think. Maybe put a default setting in the raws or init.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:45:34 pm by Wolfius »

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 03:20:43 am »

The real basis for the multiple threads on this topic:  Players want the convenience of a dedicated craftsdwarf (mason, carpenter, etc..) while implementing the added convenience of selecting the quality of items produced.

Its a gameplay style thing, I think this thread and the others have pretty well illustrated its not a universally acceptable or even warranted gameplay mechanic.  If you want poor quality production, assign low level craftsdwarves.  If you want doors and coffers for the people let them be fabricated by the people.  Hah.  Leave your legendary mason to attend that party, we all know any boulder he touches will be wrought into a masterpiece no matter how he's told to make it.

Ask instead for some economy tweaks (which are surely in the works) and maybe a better way to interface to find and assign those hauling peasants into a rank of apprentice masons.  Also in the works.

Viva la Fortress.

Caledonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Occluded Sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 08:30:27 am »

It's not that I want to control the quality levels.  I appreciate the fact that they're unpredictable.

That's the problem:  with high skill, the results are always predictably 'good'.  I want the ability to trade off time for quality - and I want quality to take somewhat longer than it does now.  Not extraordinarily longer, just a bit.

That way, if I want to maximize the chance of masterpieces, I'll have to manage my resources and sacrifice another desirable property:  speed.  And if I need some low-quality items, I can get them without burning through a newbie's lack of skill.
I am Immortal:  I have inside me blood of kings.
I have no rival:  no man can be my equal.
Take me to the future of your world!

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 07:43:41 pm »

I agree with having an option to emphasize either Quality or Quantity, probably requested through either the workshop or the manager's task item, with the additional trade-off that Quantity makes dwarves slightly unhappy.  For a low-skilled dwarf, there should be little or no difference in results - they always work slowly and produce low-quality items.

I also agree that a highly-skilled dwarf should not be producing highest-quality items nearly so quickly.  A full suit of plate-level armor should not be the work of a day!  Fixing this game problem will also better match employment opportunities at a mature fortress with population.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 08:19:12 pm »

"A full suit of plate-level armor should not be the work of a day!"

Actually that takes a while... Only the Breast of the Platemail can be done in day

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 08:32:11 pm »

Actually that takes a while... Only the Breast of the Platemail can be done in day

For a human. Humans, however, are proven sissies. For one thing, only fully adult humans drink achohol; children drink crap like water and milk. For another thing, they forge with HAMMERS and TONGS and other useless crap. You can't craft properly unless you can stick your hands into the metal!

Other than the economy (which is currently flawed) I can't imagine WHY you wouldn't want high levels of quality.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2008, 09:12:12 pm »

It is literally the case that a legendary armorsmith can turn out plate, mail, greaves, cap, helm, gauntlets, and boots in a single day, as long as fuel and metal are sufficiently near to hand.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 10:55:43 pm »

Even I don't believe that...

Risim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2008, 02:06:54 am »

I think it would make more sense to just be able make practice weapons, on purpose.  These items would be easy enough for any dwarf to make, and a high quality would make them less likely to be lethal.

Also seconding relative pricing on rooms, or for wages to go up as your fortress becomes more wealthy and dwarfpower becomes more valuable.   The offset, though, should be that your always-jealous nobles start making obscene demands in order to keep themselves further and further ahead of your workers.
Pages: 1 2 [3]