Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Remove Ramp  (Read 948 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Remove Ramp
« on: July 16, 2008, 09:30:05 pm »

Since Toady has deemed it necessary to remove all cliffs from the game...

I'd like to see a way to remove ramps. Currently, the only way to get rid of a triangular ramp tile is to dig away at everything surrounding it, and then channel the areas beside/above it - in effect, in order to remove the slope from a hillside, one must cause a cave-in.

This is /exceedingly/ annoying, and I'd like a simple way to dig out the ramps from my hillside. I don't care if its realistic for dirt to roll downhill.

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remove Ramp
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:38:58 pm »

D[esignate] Z[remove ramp] doesn't work?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:30:05 pm »

Since Toady has deemed it necessary to remove all cliffs from the game...

I'd like to see a way to remove ramps. Currently, the only way to get rid of a triangular ramp tile is to dig away at everything surrounding it, and then channel the areas beside/above it - in effect, in order to remove the slope from a hillside, one must cause a cave-in.

This is /exceedingly/ annoying, and I'd like a simple way to dig out the ramps from my hillside. I don't care if its realistic for dirt to roll downhill.

If you are new, PLEASE, please, do this:
FIRST: Thoroughly examine the game. It's tough to learn what all the features are, but there is a help system built in, and most things are labeled. It saves everyone a lot of time if you try all your options first.
SECOND: READ THE WIKI. THIS IS ARMOK TALKING HERE. DO SO OR I WILL DESTROY YOU AND FEED YOUR CORPSE TO THE ELVES.
THIRD: No, seriously, read the wiki. If you can't be bothered to read a little, we won't bother to read your posts.
FOURTH: "SEARCH" the forum. All forums have this feature. It's almost always in the top right corner of every page.
FIFTH: IF you don't find an active topic on your problem/question, then you can begin to consider starting a new thread.
SIXTH: Before you post, read your question over and make sure you wrote something worth reading. If not, either fix it or delete it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Lord Byte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lordbyte.be
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:02:37 pm »

Go a level lower and then use D - Z to remove a ramp. Ramps have to be removed from the lower Z level. I remember having this problem too in the beginning.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 12:24:39 am »

He removed cliffs?! Is he a madman?!

Cliffs happen! They really do! They often become the site of fortresses because they are defensible!

Hackenslacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 01:28:51 am »

I noticed an option in custom map gen for "periodically erode steep cliffs" or something similar. Possibly setting this to OFF would retain cliffs?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 01:44:51 am »

It said "Periodically Erode Extreme Cliffs," as in those really huge ones (over 9 z-levels tall) that are difficult to find in the first place (and I've yet to see the final symbol, for the cliffs over....20?)

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 02:48:04 am »

No need to be quite so harsh PTTG?

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 05:57:12 am »

He removed cliffs?! Is he a madman?!

Cliffs happen! They really do! They often become the site of fortresses because they are defensible!
Carve out your own cliffs
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 07:23:14 am »

cliffs and roads were conflicting, so toady temporarily removed natural cliffs. I am certain he said he'd put them back in. Until then, yeah, just remove some ramps and it's all good, right?
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 11:14:50 am »

Yeah, he also mentioned something about putting them back in when adventurers could climb up them.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 12:15:41 pm »

No need to be quite so harsh PTTG?

Agreed