Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39b] - Dumped items do not go past the ramp  (Read 865 times)

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39b] - Dumped items do not go past the ramp
« on: July 15, 2008, 07:54:05 pm »

So I'm digging a water feature and make use of the (thank you very much!) dump tool and designate a one tile garbage dump one level up, next to the ramp connecting the two levels.

Now it seems like my dwarves are dropping the stone on the connecting ramp instead of taking it to the dump site.

Save files on request.

Thanks!
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [39b] - Dumped items do not go past the ramp
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:44:47 pm »

I can't quite picture this, but could the dropped items be due to the pathing bug where they cancel haul jobs when they bump into each other?  You can see the cancels as "path blocked" if you turn on all job cancellations in 'o'.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:59:58 pm »

Oh, I know what you mean, I never really thought of this as a bug. Forgive my terrible attempt at sketching this, but...

###
#-#
#^#

The center spot would be channel, and then the ^ would be the up ramp, and if you designate a dump spot over the entire 3x3 square often times they'll happily toss the dumped item onto the ramp instead of down the channel. I'd typically just work around it by putting a 1x1 tile designation on the north side of the channel so that they don't have the option of tossing it onto the ramp.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 02:32:24 am »

Are you designating the 3x3 at the z level above this, with the down-ramp?  If so, they'll treat both open air squares as a dump.  They prefer to get things down one Z level, but they don't try to think beyond that.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!