Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39b] Dwarf cancels job: Path Blocked?  (Read 1954 times)

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39b] Dwarf cancels job: Path Blocked?
« on: July 15, 2008, 02:40:56 pm »

When my miner kept stuttering around the place when going to build a wall I wondered what was up, so I put Announce all job cancellations on, and it kept saying path blocked even though it was a clear route and all my other dwarves were milling around the starting wagon.

I don't think this happened before so maybe a bug?

GodsToaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [39b] Dwarf cancels job: Path Blocked?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 02:51:45 pm »

Ive been having the same problem. It seems to happen if one dwarf is in another's way since they don't seem to have this problem till theres other dwarves around.This makes getting dwarves to move stuff around a lot harder since they seem to drop whatever they're carrying. At first, I thought they all had ADD or something, switching to another job besides hauling just because they felt like it, but after turning on the annoucements, I was getting the same message of the path being blocked.

TrouserDemon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 03:33:54 pm »

I guessing that in the past it only calculated the pathfinding for 1 square ahead, but now it calculates the whole path, and as such dwarves that are way in front now block the paths.

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:32:13 pm »

don't give masons pet dogs :P
there's a tag in the init settings file that has to do with pathfinding calculations, try that? is just for default traffic costs, ingorezmoisvp.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:58:58 pm by Nazush Ebsas »

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:05:12 pm »

I can also confirm this. Massive pathing issues and performance issues. Almost cost me a fort, if you can believe that.

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 10:09:48 pm »

I rescind my earlier statement. This bug is more vicious then I had imagined. Large forts cause mass efficiency loss and hauling goes to a CRAWL with all the dorfs crashing into each other. BIG problems.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 10:29:20 pm »

Had this problem as well trying to construct my topside castle.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 10:39:37 pm »

yup.
Instead of a slight delay while the dorfs are getting themselves off the ground, now there are goods scattered along the corridors.

Also grid-like tunnels seem to confuse them mightily, when multiple paths exist towards their goal, sometimes they will get stuck running to and fro for some time. (about 5-15X 10 tile detours)

Although at least for me it seems that efficience is nonetheless up.
But this might be atributed to improved sub-urban planning on my part.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 06:21:50 am »

Okay, I've set up a save that has this happening -- seems to be based on an errorlog entry of "loop path fail: <same square>" that I'm getting a lot.  Shouldn't be too hard to fix.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 06:34:33 am »

Hopefully Toady One's on to what will fix my issue as well, which is pretty much the same issue as others have posted here except I can describe it differently. All dwarves try to take the exact same path and they never weave around eachother, so they're constantly bumping into eachother and coming to a stop.

A caravan got jacked by goblins on one corner of the map, and in trying to get all the food from the caravan my dwarves have all been out for an entire season creating a single-square footpath constructed out of dropped food items. Occasionally a dwarf will dodge around their fellows, but all the droppage (hauling cancellations) are occuring on essentially the exact same path which all the dwarves are following like ants with their antennae lopped off.

I eventually mediated the issue by forbidding the vast majority of the stuff on the path, so less dwarves were out there. Once only five or six dwarves were out collecting, it worked fine even though they were still following the same path. It appears to me they aren't cancelling it when dwarves are ahead of them on the path, it's only when the dwarves are right next to them that they cancel.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 06:56:26 am by Stromko »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 07:17:48 am »

Yeah, due to one of the changes I made a while ago, it was making their paths as usual, but then adding an addition copy of the path on the back (because I forgot a "break;"...)  This would be fine, mostly, since they'll cancel the path when they get to the destination, but if they bump into each other and try to alter the path, suddenly they'd get very confused.  This has been fixed for next time.  I'll probably get that up at the end of my work day tomorrow.  I don't have enough time left in the day today to run through the release procedure (usually takes 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get through that).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 07:21:32 am »

Now it takes almost half a DAY for my siege operator to load a ballista with a ballista arrow from z-1 level although I have 3-tile-wide corridors and 73 dwarves. Erm...

Thank you, Toady, for your attention. This thing really breaks dwarven efficiency =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository