Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Prospector-like init.txt options  (Read 1365 times)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Prospector-like init.txt options
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 01:27:23 pm »

That WOULD make starting easy and fast, I like it.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 01:41:57 pm »

I fail to see how intentionally turning stuff like finding magma and adamantine into a frustrating roll of the die by refusing to give player's more flexibility makes the game 'harder'. More frustrating, yes. Harder, no.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 01:45:01 pm »

Because you don't know what you're getting, it's all up to luck. You may very well get a happy little fun world with adamantine and no pits and a volcano alongside a river, or you may get an area with a bronze collosus roaming around, pits two z levels down, and no water source at all. You will hardly ever be properly prepared.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 04:04:10 pm »

Part of the fun, for me, is prospecting for a site.  That is, reading the layers and trying to figure out the best place to site a profitable colony.

I think the hostility towards 'cheating' (that is, turning off the economy or playing a race with huge damage reduction, or using reveal and prospector to go straight to the 'good' sites) is that it cheapens the accomplishments of those who don't.  There's a certain 'whoah' factor to doing a lot of stuff in this game, and watching other people take short cuts to get there seems like it cheapens the acomplishments of those who only use the tools available in the game to get good results.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 04:13:34 pm »

Part of the fun, for me, is prospecting for a site.  That is, reading the layers and trying to figure out the best place to site a profitable colony.
Off topic, but prospector information isn't particularly influenced by layers one way or another. A region with a magma vent doesn't have to be igneous extrusive, for example. Thus, even when using a prospector tool, you still get to play around reading the layers.

I think the hostility towards 'cheating' (that is, turning off the economy or playing a race with huge damage reduction, or using reveal and prospector to go straight to the 'good' sites) is that it cheapens the accomplishments of those who don't.  There's a certain 'whoah' factor to doing a lot of stuff in this game, and watching other people take short cuts to get there seems like it cheapens the acomplishments of those who only use the tools available in the game to get good results.
I know you're not voicing this as your own view, but I just have to say that that's utter crap. I enjoy the challenge of getting my magma flow set up in a magmaman-proof way; that doesn't mean it's "cheaper" fun because it's possible to go turn temperature off in init. That's like saying beating a game on Nightmare mode is no accomplishment, because it was possible to play an easy mode.

However if it makes it less 'cheating' for you how about an option where we can make it random pick a site that has a selectable list of features. (it could of course have ones you don't require as well).
That's a really cool idea, actually. It requires a much more complicated feature addition though.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 04:39:15 pm »

Because you don't know what you're getting, it's all up to luck.

Most of time you get nothing and it's boring though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 04:42:37 pm »

Because you don't know what you're getting, it's all up to luck.

Most of time you get nothing and it's boring though.

Which is one of the reasons I'm FOR it ;)
Pages: 1 [2]