Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bronze Collosi do better at world generation  (Read 1019 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bronze Collosi do better at world generation
« on: July 15, 2008, 12:26:55 am »

I didn't know where to put this... I thought of the bug section... however

So far Bronze Collosi do poorly in world generation relative to their power despite often being considered the most powerful Megabeast and often considered overpowered capable of taking down even long since established fortresses full of military dwarves and traps.

However in world generation they perform the least well out of all the other Megabeasts often being wiped out before the years hits 50.

Id like it if a bronze collosus did as well in world generation as he would do in the game as it is.

Though this is probably premature since Toady has a lot of work ahead of him on (Semi)Megabeasts and it very well be on his wishlist.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Bronze Collosi do better at world generation
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:43:13 am »

A lot of things are currently entirely unbalanced, and probably will continue to stay that way for a while until things are more settled overall.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 12:45:28 am »

Yeah that is true, I kinda feel like this whole topic is premature... but I guess there is no harm in posting this.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 12:10:49 pm »

I've found that all the megabeasts are getting killed very quickly.

My current world has one megabeast left, and it's a Titan.  I haven't even played yet and they're all dead.
Shoes...

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:03:47 pm »

How could it be premature? this is the df forum, about df, and it's a topic about df and df is a beautiful awe-inspiring alpha, criticism makes the cynics wand grow heartier.

Thankfully toady writes better code when he should be asleep than I write english when I should be asleep.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:31:03 pm »

I'm not sure presently how creature strength features into worldgen, but it seems to me that in the Raws there just needs to be an option, "worldgen strength multiplier", that stacks the dice in favour of a creature during worldgen only. Then a designer that wants a megabeast (or even a civilisation) to have a particularly bloody history can give it a big strength multiplier and have it fare obscenely well during worldgen.

In some cases, like Bronze Collosi, this would in fact just balance the beast to its perceived strength during play.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.