Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using the World Painter Tool  (Read 1199 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Using the World Painter Tool
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:23:59 am »

I've been experimenting with the world painter tool, and so far I have only gotten flat, empty plains that can't finish generating. I wanted to see if anybody else has figured out the tools for the custom designer part.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using the World Painter Tool
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 02:35:56 pm »

It's mouse-based, try using that.

Anyway, it's extremely hard, if not impossible, to get it to generate things you want. Even if you tell it to save the stuff you paint, it'll still qualify it under the parameters of the previous screen, which means unless you have a definite knowledge of what each parameter does(like Toady), then you aren't going to be able to paint your own worlds. If the parameters set themselves according to what you painted, it would not be a problem. As it stands, the painting part is dumb and even less intuitive than the rest of the game. Also, the smoothing brush doesn't work.

One of those coders floating around here should come up with a utility that sets the parameters automatically, or something.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 02:42:33 pm »

Most map rejections are due to two reasons. Either desired biome limits aren't met or there are no expected places where to put civs.

You can tell if it's one problem or the other just by seeing when the worldgen resets. If it's before placing rivers then it's the first and if it's after placing lakes then it's the second.

The quick way to fix the first problem is by nullifying (n) or setting at their minimum value all worldgen parameters which start with "minimum" in their description text (except for temperature and altitude). Likewise set at maximum or nullify all world parameters which start with "maximum" (again, except for temp and altitude). All of those work as rejection criteria. By nullifying them you are essentially telling the worldgen that anything goes.

To fix the second problem you would need to check the raws and insure that you are placing enough desired biomes for each race or mod the races to let them settle in the biomes you are creating.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:47:40 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:50:49 am »

Thank you for the info. What I found so far is that the screen is only a partial window- rightclickdrag for scroll. Also, the smoothing brush is more of a "soft-edge" brush.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 11:39:17 am »

There's some crazy stuff you can successfully generate when you turn off all the biome requirements. I'm playing a desert world that's absolutely covered in rivers.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 12:42:20 pm »

What I found so far is that the screen is only a partial window- rightclickdrag for scroll.

Thanks, something about that window was bugging me for a while. That really needs to be more obvious. Maybe someone could add a wiki article on using the painter...
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 05:59:21 pm »

What I found so far is that the screen is only a partial window- rightclickdrag for scroll.

Thanks, something about that window was bugging me for a while. That really needs to be more obvious. Maybe someone could add a wiki article on using the painter...
Lol. It was my problem too =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository