Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military lines  (Read 371 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military lines
« on: July 16, 2008, 12:27:48 am »

I would like to suggest a military formation other than patroling and stationing. It is designated the same way a patrol is, but instead of walking along the line, the dwarves in the squad will walk up to the closest unoccuped space on the line and stand there, just as if they had been stationed there. If there are extra dwarves, they go over to the squad leader. If there are too few, not all the spaces are filled.

You could have a straight line, and your dwarves will stand on it, waiting for enemies. You could make a circle, so the surround a small group or defend an object (the fort entrance?) in the center of the circle. You could have flanking and fireing lines that are actually lines.

This would allow for much better tactical command of your troops and would make the battles that are going in with the army arc 50 times more fun.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:30:12 am by Grek »

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Military lines
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:34:26 am »

liking it, that'd make it nice to have a straight staircase down a few levels. On the second level, one large room, melee dwarves circling the stairs, and marksdwarves circling them(No friendly fire, FTW) :D DO IT!
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.