Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a starting location...  (Read 1995 times)

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for a starting location...
« on: January 31, 2008, 06:06:00 am »

Hi everyone

I've spent 2 hours yesterday trying to find the location i wanted :

Magma
Iron
Flux
River/Brook
Terrifying+Haunted (with 2 biomes)

The terrifying+haunted part is what i really care about, i found a few, but they didnt have magma at all, and i just can't be bothered to play without magma

Any additional underground feature (cave lake, river, chasm..) would be great but isnt essential..

Trees and Sand would be nice, but i can live without (hopefully  :D)

I've had no luck so far

Does anyone have such a seed he could share?

Thanks in advance

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Looking for a starting location...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 02:33:46 pm »

I've spent much more than 2 hours at this..

Anyone with luck on the site finder?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 03:16:27 pm »

You can try generating a new world with custom settings, and screwing with the volcanism, number of rivers, amount of evil tiles, etc. to increase your chances of there being a location with what you want.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 04:35:15 pm »

I don't think it's possible to look explicitly for iron with the site finder, but most sites with flux have sedimentary layers which generally have iron. From what I experienced, a site with flux, magma, and a river is not very common, it took me more than 15 worlds with standard settings to generate an acceptable one. In those 15 worlds, I never found a single site with flux, magma, and an underground river or pool.

Instead of searching in a once generated world, I'd recommend creating more worlds and then use the site finder until it shows you one. Adjusting the area size might also help. Or you dabble with the parameters of worldgen.

dfshortbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 05:00:24 pm »

You guys should check out the world gen cookbook. There are a lot of great seeds and world gen params in there. I don't even bother generating the standard world anymore.

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 05:17:58 pm »

One thing as previously mentioned that helps is increasing the variances (both x- and y-) for volcanism to 1600. If you also do the same to elevation, you increase the mix of mountains, and stand a better chance of finding a mountainous site with flux and magma. To reduce rejects, I found increasing the maximum number of subregions to 5000 helps somewhat.

Volcanism X-Variance 1600
Volcanism Y-Variance 1600
Elevation X-Variance 1600
Elevation Y-Variance 1600
Max subregions 5000

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 07:34:25 pm »

Why do so few people use the weighted range options?

If I remember what I read correctly, if, for example, you set your 80-100 volcanism range to 4 while the other four options are left at 1, is that you'll have an equal amount of 80-100 as 0-80. You'll have to adjust/remove the minimum required tiles/subregions of type <x> if you play with this option, otherwise you'll get constant rejections. Also, unless you're planning on modding the civs so that they have a wider range for possible settlements, make sure that you avoid extremes on the weights. That is, don't max out savagry or anything that'll make too much territory unsettleable.

Nero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 09:11:00 pm »

After much searching, I managed to find a site with:

A magma pipe, an aboveground river, an underground river (which starts and ends within local), a small bottomless pit that the underground river ends in, sedimentary and igneous layers with plentiful amounts of copper and iron and a number of other metals, obsidian en mass, flux, sand, forest, two large patches of bauxite, contact with all civilizations while at war with the goblins.. and HFS. All in a 5x5 area.

Too bad its neutrally aligned. But hey, at least it has elephants!  ;D

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 09:13:30 pm »

After much searching, I managed to find a site with:

A magma pipe, an aboveground river, an underground river (which starts and ends within local), a small bottomless pit that the underground river ends in, sedimentary and igneous layers with plentiful amounts of copper and iron and a number of other metals, obsidian en mass, flux, sand, forest, two large patches of bauxite, contact with all civilizations while at war with the goblins.. and HFS. All in a 5x5 area.

Too bad its neutrally aligned. But hey, at least it has elephants!  ;D
Can you please post it?

Nero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 09:24:16 pm »

Give me a few minutes to wiki-up the way to do that, and Ill edit it into this post.
Here's the seed information. Hosting the save is not likely, since Im one of those dial-up users of near-forgotten yore.

If my memory serves me though, using the feature finder to find a 6x6 area with Magma Pipe, Underground River, Flux, HFS, and no aquifer should give this site, but you can shrink it down to a minimum of 5x5 (show features on local in the init) and keep all the features. Searching for a 5x5 gives a different location, one I havent tried, so it is not the one I was talking about. Ill see if I can find the location again in-game and get some co-ordinates, just in case you cant locate it yourself. Confirmed find of location with 6x6 search, and a 5x5 would still contain all features. Searching for a 5x5 indeed does NOT locate my site, instead another one matching the same conditions.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I found my world generation settings. Nothing special, but just in case they are needed.

Heres a referance of where on the world I settled:

Also, 2 tiles upwards from my starting location is an underground pool, a bottomless pit, and a chasm. So a 5x8 or 6x8 embark could include those too.

Out of curiosity, will the local area be exactly the same with seed information, or just the same general features?
Using all the above I did manage to generate an identical play map.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:53:12 pm by Nero »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 09:26:57 pm »

Give me a few minutes to wiki-up the way to do that, and Ill edit it into this post.

Out of curiousity, will the local area be exactly the same with seed information, or just the same features and biomes?
I don't really know but if you post the seed info/world gen info and the save file as you have it now that would be good.