Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building Improvement  (Read 780 times)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Building Improvement
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:53:23 am »

When I'm trying to build a tower, one thing that bugs me is I need to keep a constant eye on the game, so that when one level is finished THEN I am able to make the next level. I'd prefer to be able to designate walls and floors to be built without them being accessible, so having multiple floors planned out would be doable.

Also, building walls and staircases on floors would be highly appreciated.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building Improvement
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 11:13:03 am »

with the multiple-at-once build style, you can sort of build walls and floors without having access when they're designated.  However, it would definitely be nice if you could just say to build x, y, z, and have the dwarves make their way through it, only building something when it couldn't collapse.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building Improvement
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 11:20:33 am »

When I'm trying to build a tower, one thing that bugs me is I need to keep a constant eye on the game, so that when one level is finished THEN I am able to make the next level. I'd prefer to be able to designate walls and floors to be built without them being accessible, so having multiple floors planned out would be doable.

Also, building walls and staircases on floors would be highly appreciated.
This is one of the many suggestions I've been thinking about lately.  Another suggestion relating to this is to build a building using ore that might not have sufficient supply.  The reason being: Now, when you build something it paths to the nearest resource and places that on the top of the list.  If you have no path, you have no resources.  So you'd have to be able to say:  Build this here, with the closest block/ore of Obsidian.  Even if the Obsidian may not be available yet.  It also restricts that ore from further manipulation, which gets in the way if you need to build a workshop on top of this ore.  You'll be denied because the dwarfs can't move assigned material.

This leads to another thought I had.  Default building materials.  You'd enter a menu of options, Select default construction material, and select from the resources visible on your map.  When the dwarf accepts the job to build the wall/building/etc they would path to the nearest default ore, pick it up and carry it to the site.

These free up some of the problems with assigned ore being non-movable as well as clearing ore from heavily populated areas without having to build stockpiles or workshops in the area.  I say this mainly due to the fact that the dwarfs would pick up ore where they are (sleep, dining room, etc.) instead of near the building site.

The downside to this?  The dwarfs carry things longer and I think really heavy stuff slows them down.  (Can't be positive on this...)  An algorithm would have to be made to determine if it's worthwhile to pick up a rock near the dwarf or near the construction.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."