Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stubborn Mood  (Read 1000 times)

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stubborn Mood
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:15:59 pm »

I had built a magma forge upon a magma pipe in order to build some magma-proof iron floodgates before pumping magma into my fortress.
However one of my dwarves (a blacksmith) went into a fell mood and claimed it.
At this point I was rather excited. It was the first fortress mood and it had the potential to be something useful.

Then, after he'd gathered everything and started work, a magma man popped up and chased him out of his workshop. One of my (two) recruits (totally untrained) cut the magma man in half in a single strike with his obsidian shortsword.

Unfortunately by then the damage had been done.

My moody dwarf had bruised one of his arms!
A minute later, the wound was gone, but still he sat, unmoving, in the place at which he had ran to when being chased, refusing to return to his work, until he went insane.

I'm kinda hoping he's going to jump into the lava. It would at least be ironic enough to pay for the loss of the artifact >_>

Edit: No. He just jumped into my lava moat. My emtpy lava moat. Which he was meant to be making floodgates for so that I could fill it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:27:33 pm by Metal Chao »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stubborn Mood
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:27:06 pm »

Step 1: do  not make paths available for magma men.  But yes, sometimes bad things happen.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:28:29 pm »

No you misunderstand.
I needed to build a forge to make magma-safe materials.
So I thought I might as well make a magma forge on top of where the cauldron meets the air and not waste trees.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 04:08:46 pm »

Sorry.

Step 1: do  not make paths available for magma men TO GET TO YOUR FORGE.  But yes, sometimes bad things happen.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 04:20:31 pm »

But the forge is on top of the magma. It's on the surface D:
I can't be bothered to rewall around it, and even if I did it would still interrupt him.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:51:21 pm »

This is why most people put their forges underground.

My point was that care could have been taken, but it wasn't, so you lost a guy.  Beyond that I don't know if it was intended behavior, was the forge still claimed by the guy?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 10:54:43 pm »

^^^ Yeah, that's a good point.  He might have just been waiting for his materials in a different place.

Pauven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 03:06:17 am »

This happened to me, too. A grower had just claimed a craftsdwarfs workshop, when a Giant Cave Swallow burst through the back door (which is just next to that workshop, and only flying creatures can get into my fortress that way), and mangled the dwarf's left hand. Seconds later a passing guard killed the swallow, but now the dwarf stays put.

(Yes, I know that door should have been properly trapped, but i was making the mechanisms..)

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 04:26:23 am »

It was still claimed, he had started construction.
I have two more metalsmiths so it's not that big a loss. It's too bad he tried jumping out of my boatmurdered-esque doomsday device, which was also empty and not high enough to kill him.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 09:42:17 am »

It reminds me those jokes with people jumping into empty swimming pools.

And the Draco gave you a useful advice. You're the only one responsible for the failed mood: you can't be safe if you leave the way for magma creatures to your workshops, this is the same thing as leaving your workshops outisde in evil biomes with undead carps. By my experience every magma went/pool has a number of magma dwellers which are nasty.
There're a few very easy ways to ward them off. The easiest one is a fortification for magma to pass through.

And it's quite understandable why can't they continue their work. Imagine a possessed scientist who sits at his place days and nights without going to sleep/eat/drink/piss and almost finds the formula of the eternal life when BAMM a winged elephantman made of jelly breaks the wall of his room, tramples his papers with calculations and breaks his arm. It's quite hard to return your muse after such event.
You can imagine this in different ways: 1) some materials are damaged and the creator can't calm himself; 2) the moody dwarf loses the "idea" of his future artifact because of psychological damage; 3) <insert your thought here> etc..
This can be explained by many things, however this may be changed in future.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:48:08 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Calessa Lynn Orphiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 12:13:14 am »

That logic would be great, except that even quite badly wounded dwarves can enter strange moods and take them all the way to completion.

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 09:24:35 pm »

i had a moody dwarf injured by a tantrumming dwarf midcraft, thought it was quite funny, as the tantrumming dwarf was tantrumming over a lost masterpeice meal, how the hell do you know a meal was a masterpeice till it's been eaten? *anyway* the moody guy finished the project, which i was surprised at. But really, you can't blame the guy, it makes the game more interesting perhaps, and less easy to be perfect in, which is a gd thing, but it is buggy behaviour, whether accepted into design or not. Fault really isn't a very useful word there :P