Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 3Pannel Soul DF tileset  (Read 7890 times)

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3Pannel Soul DF tileset
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2008, 07:04:49 pm »

Recognizing a face is a special case for humans. I am not sure if your example would apply if it was a fish among a hundred birds.

I feel like this is the same argument that crops up over and over in a million different places. There is the approach that takes little learning but has a lower maximum efficiency in the long run, and the approach that takes more learning but has a higher efficiency in the long run.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2008, 07:45:14 pm »

Recognizing a face is a special case for humans. I am not sure if your example would apply if it was a fish among a hundred birds.

I feel like this is the same argument that crops up over and over in a million different places. There is the approach that takes little learning but has a lower maximum efficiency in the long run, and the approach that takes more learning but has a higher efficiency in the long run.

I don't see how being able to recognise something easyer would ever reduce efficienty though, so the question is whats on average the easyest to recognise, a symbol or a graphical representation. I think about every psychologist will tell you the latter. There is a reason why its a niche, and it is not having a better overview. If people would lack the capacity to instantly understand a graphical representation of for example an object or an animal then a symbol would indeed be more efficient. Infact there is a condition a very rare amount of people have wich makes them unable to recognise for example the drawing of a bird, or a plane or whatever, for them they see nothing but meanigless lines, a bit similar to seeing meaningless (or so you perceive them) symbols, unfortunatly for them that part of the brain is in close relation to being able to recognise a single familiar face out of a thousends of faces. (for example a familymember) For them it would be more efficient if a face or a depiction of an object or animal would be purely symbolic.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Boomer

• Bay Watcher
  • EXPLOSIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2008, 08:03:54 pm »

Ok, Red Jackard... now I agree with your statement.

I sigh...
"Damn, I just noticed that this was post Nr 1500, and I had nothing memorable to say...I will go and play with the carp now."

~Akroma

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2008, 08:19:44 pm »

Was that "sigh" directed at me?
If so, whats wrong with the debate?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.

Boomer

• Bay Watcher
  • EXPLOSIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2008, 08:37:06 pm »

Was that "sigh" directed at me?
If so, whats wrong with the debate?

Not towards anyone. The situation. Seemed like a discussion before, but now i see the cycle forming, the endless spiral...

Anyway, modding this tileset so much i may end up with my own tileset pretty soon.  ::)
"Damn, I just noticed that this was post Nr 1500, and I had nothing memorable to say...I will go and play with the carp now."

~Akroma

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2008, 08:42:16 pm »

Meh. I never actually seen or had this discussion before so maybe its not a cycle, but more common sense.
Anyways, i think its much more of a bore when people start arguing about opinions. I hate debates about opinions.

Balistora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008, 12:51:16 am »

The 10000 year world would bother me.
Not because of the memory requirements, though they would be huge, but because technology wouldn't advance.
10000 years of the same swords and shields sort of tech is goofy.
Kobold Thief has stolen *flying car*

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2008, 04:34:29 am »

Anyway, modding this tileset so much i may end up with my own tileset pretty soon.  ::)

Sounds good. Collaborating is one of the fun things about tilesets, and this one has thrown some new stuff into the mix.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:20:32 am by Red Jackard »
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008, 10:00:34 am »

I refuse to use any other tileset then http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Image:Lord_Nightmare_Freehand%5E2_10x16.png
After seeing that, I'm having to fight down the urge to go make a tileset in runic...
(Hmm, how to handle the accents though? You'd probably need to go with the 'lose accented characters in favour of more sprites' route...)

[edit:] I, uh, didnt fight very well... http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk61/kaypy/dwarfrune.png
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:53:37 am by kaypy »

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 03:17:08 pm »

good god
My dwarves are not your dwarves.
Pages: 1 2 [3]