Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode - finding stuff to trade for and ruins?  (Read 440 times)

Kaelis Asur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode - finding stuff to trade for and ruins?
« on: July 11, 2008, 06:46:32 pm »

Ive recently started playing adventure mode.

I have two important questions:

How to get items i could trade with for equipment and food? The few encounters ive had so far proved that creatures do not drop anything of any value, and i dont get a single coin for finishing quests. Are those few random goblins and kobolds my only chance of getting any tradeable items? If so, is there any other way to get food?

Ive also read on wiki there should be some ruins in my world (which, incidentally, may contain some valuable stuff...), but ive seen none on my world map. Are they some kind of a hidden feature? Or are there some requirements to find one?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode - finding stuff to trade for and ruins?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:01:57 pm »

You're coming into this with a traditional RPG mindset, yeah.  There are no 'drops' or 'lewt' in DF.  There are tradable items in goblin towers though, along with everything they're wearing.  Human towns, and especially abandoned forts, are the other great sources of stuff.  Bear in mind that adventurers can't get the Appraiser skill, so you'll never know what any stuff's worth.

There are no ruins anymore.  That was a 2D feature and it was funky to say the least.  You will occasionally find pregenerated towns and settlements where all the inhabitants died in worldgen, so they'll look perfectly normal, just lifeless.  Something like ruins are coming in the next version though (any day now), so don't worry.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:12:21 pm »

Yeah, most of my tradables come from dropping into a goblin fortress (pink or gray pi sign on the world map) and killing drunks or peasants (or sleeping guards). Since they were GCS silk, you can buy anything with value to spare (useful, as you can't tell what things definitely cost).

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:57:11 am »

There are no ruins anymore.  That was a 2D feature and it was funky to say the least.

Well, they were around more recently than that.  I think they were just dropped a version or two ago; I've visited ruins in Adventure Mode, and I haven't been playing all that long.

Yeah, goblins are about the best source of trade goods right now.  Also, recruiting drunks and taking their stuff after they get eaten by a Giant Lion.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.