Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Question: Can you change player races without ki  (Read 718 times)

Ryven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding Question: Can you change player races without ki
« on: August 20, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

Hey all,

I just got into Dwarf Fortress, and since the first thing I noticed was that my dwarves are mindless and die frequently, I was inspired to mod in a playable race of lemmings, since those are characteristics they're quite well known for.

Upon generating a new world, I noticed that there weren't any dwarven civilizations in it, even though I left them unmodified in the entity_default file, with the exception of removing [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]. I assume that this is because all the mountain sites they would normally occupy are now potential homes for my variety of subterranean lemming.

Is this normal, or did I screw something up? If it's normal, is there a workaround that's generally used?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Question: Can you change player races without ki
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 05:24:00 pm »

This is normal, with no workaround other that making a new world and trying again.

Ryven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »

Ah, thanks. I'll just do without them for now, then.

Sara-chan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

You can also add an extra controllable race without removing the Dwarves from controllability.
If you do that, it'll randomly pick one whenever you enter Dwarf Fortress mode (from my experience at least).
Nyu?