Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayor just disappeared?  (Read 731 times)

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mayor just disappeared?
« on: July 10, 2008, 06:30:03 am »

My mayor suffered from the quite common "no on to blame for a recent failure"-syndrom. He went tantrum, threw a dwarf against a wall (thereby murdering him), hit a few dwarves, destroyed a piece of furniture or two and stamped on a cat tail (no kidding) plus he destroyed the chain he was first assigned to. All in all he got ~400 days of jail.

When he got chained again the unhappy thought had already disappeared and he was "quite content" so i didn't worry he would tantrum again while sitting in his engraved cell with bed, chair, table, booze and food stockpile. It all happened around early autumn.

When the dwarven caravan arrived the liaison would head to the mayor's cell and although my mayor stated he was conducting a meeting, nothing happened. Nothing unusual there, i guessed he wouldn't be able to do that anyway.

Nearly a year passed. The liaison was still there plus a human merchant prince who had arrived during the summer. Then suddenly i got a message "a diplomat has left unhappy" (or something like that). No surprise there, right? Ok, so after a few seconds i got the message again. Seemed to me the liaison finally got sick of everything and left. But that was only partially true. A quick look into the cell and... my mayor was gone. But the liaison still stood there like nothing happened plus a nearby engraver, who was just taking a drink from the booze stockpile, suddenly got struck by melancholy and went insane. wtf?

I checked on the mayor just a minute or two before he disappeared (he still had about 50 days left). What the hell happened to him?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mayor just disappeared?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 07:03:54 am »

Wow. that seems like a bug but damn if it isn't a cool one although I think that the dwarf going insane was a coincidence.

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:09:31 am »

Wow. that seems like a bug but damn if it isn't a cool one although I think that the dwarf going insane was a coincidence.

I say it's related somehow. All my dwarves are ecstatic most of the time so the chance for sudden melancholy is rather small. Maybe the mayor's disappearance is somehow counted as death in the eyes of my other dwarves and since the engraver is one of my first dwarves (so a close friend of the mayor) chances are high for a huge drop in happiness (especially since he was pretty close to the "death").

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:49:45 am »

quite possibly. that is the most logical explanation but check the mans thoughts to see if he witnessed death

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:58:32 am »

The liaison is actually Cthulthu in disguise. He utterly destroyed your Mayor's soul, and the mere sight of his true form left the only witness insane. Keep us updated on what your engraver carves out later :D
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:41:37 am »

It seems that the engraver IS the mayor. He just lost all his positions (leader, broker, etc.), though his thoughts state that he is "happy to be re-elected mayor". The melancholy is based on ANOTHER "nobody to punish for recent failure"-thought. Strange thing is (besides everything else) that the 50 or so days of jail he had left simply vanished.

Is this normal behaviour for a person/noble who is being jailed for a year?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 12:10:30 pm »

There seemed to be some complex thing which may be not a bug but a dire raw of consequences...
Is the "mayor" on N screen unassigned? Maybe he someway lost his position, I've heard about re-elected mayors, however I didn't see it personally.

And the visitors couldn't conduct meetings because the mayor was unable to reach his office. If you assigned his cell to be his office he would be able to do it. Maybe unsuccessful meeting lead to the loss of his position, huh?
However everything here (but office thing, it works; I usually make office-cells for tantruming mayors) are just my thoughts and may be wrong.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 01:37:44 pm »

There seemed to be some complex thing which may be not a bug but a dire raw of consequences...
Is the "mayor" on N screen unassigned? Maybe he someway lost his position, I've heard about re-elected mayors, however I didn't see it personally.

He got re-elected but all the jobs i had him assigned to are suddenly vacant. So either this has something to do with him being jailed for (close to) a year or a mayor can't be elected while in jail.

And the visitors couldn't conduct meetings because the mayor was unable to reach his office. If you assigned his cell to be his office he would be able to do it. Maybe unsuccessful meeting lead to the loss of his position, huh?
However everything here (but office thing, it works; I usually make office-cells for tantruming mayors) are just my thoughts and may be wrong.

Well, i had no problem with him being unable to conduct meetings since my fortress is already self-sufficent, but I'll keep that in mind for the future, thanks.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 12:24:11 am »

That explaination is anticlimatic and not as nearly as funny as the other possibilities.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.