Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Children Stay Inside  (Read 667 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Children Stay Inside
« on: July 26, 2008, 07:36:21 pm »

--I accidentally posted this in the gameplay questions forum this morning, so sorry for the extra topic haha. I guess that's what happens when you post something at 3 am while drowsy.

Title says it all. A command that makes children stay inside, for those times when you know there are snatchers on the loose.

Nothing is more annoying than having to halt your outside labor to keep the lil buggers inside because they just insist on following mommy out across the map to pick up a piece of wood.

Right now I know theres several snatchers around (framerate always drops when they come) but even with military dwarves going all over the place I haven't uncovered them all in an entire season, and they already grabbed one child who wandered out after the wood hauler.

This should also help prevent the lil buggers from running out to see their parent while in the middle of a fight. One of my legendary fighters has had 3 of her kids die to stray arrows while they were going to see her mid fight. (funnily enough, the babies she carries into battle have never even been injured).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Children Stay Inside
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:57:38 pm »

This is a great extra option to have in the game :)
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 08:09:47 am »

I'd like to see it too. It would be very useful, I don't want my little dwarves to become a part of goblin armies.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 12:24:20 pm »

I like it as it is; ordering children around is like herding cats in real life, so it just seems too friendly of the game to make them reasonable.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:57:59 pm »

I like it as it is; ordering children around is like herding cats in real life, so it just seems too friendly of the game to make them reasonable.

But at least you can keep the cat indoors.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 09:46:25 pm »

I generally just make a "children's wing" where children are assigned to beds, with an airlock door. Takes some micromanagement, but the children dorfs are thrown food and beer every once in a while and everybody's happy.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 10:19:16 pm »

Thats actually a pretty good idea. Kind of goofy and cruel if you think about it, but if it protects them from snatchers thats great.

I once did a similar thing with a bunch of children in a farm room with one farmer to do the planting and the children to do the harvesting. I had a bunch of highly skilled farmers when they grew up. I never really thought to just lock all of them up somewhere for protection, though.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 10:31:53 pm »

That's actually a brilliant idea with the farmers.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 10:48:39 pm »

Be funny if mothers randomly ditched their children every time they stepped outside to retrieve socks.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.