Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Special Abilities  (Read 6386 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Special Abilities
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2009, 02:17:05 pm »

Maybe Krav Maga isn't scary to you, but I've met the people who practice it.

Scary!  :o

I seriously wonder though... why it is legal?

Then again I guess it isn't illegal to learn how to kill people. (Though that is probably a misconception on my hand... though some of the things you learn would be the equivolent of learning how to beat up police officers.)

Though it still isn't the most scary martial art I know of... Which still goes to Women's Self-Defense. (Yes I sound sexist... but until I see a martial art based around plucking someone's eye out and then kicking their head repeatedly in after a swift kick to the groin... I think Ill keep it at the top)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:31:40 pm by Neonivek »

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2009, 02:35:38 pm »

A buddy of mine told me that most people fail the Black Belt Krav Maga test because they get hospitalized.

He works at a Krav Maga teaching facility. He said one of the instructors has a huge knife wound on his face from the knife defense test.

They do live weapons tests. The guns fire rubber bullets, but the knives are real and sharp, apparently.

Anyone who risks their life just to get "trained" is scary to me. That's hardcore right there :D
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2009, 02:37:20 pm »

Actually WoW's rage system for the warrior class is not that stupid, I find it quite interesting and sort of realistic even

Sure fine your right.

I forgot that anger in fact means you have much more intricate control of your body and allows you finess that would otherwise be impossible. Ontop of that, striking people in fanciful ways releases chemicals into your brain that instantly causes you to calm.

The fact of the matter is... that the Anger system in World of Warcraft only makes sense by NAME but not in execution. (In fact, appart from specific moves... More anger doesn't increase damage)

Well more rage doesn't means increased damage in WoW [only the skill called "Execute"]. The various abilites require a specific amount of rage in order to use them. So fully engraged warriors will be able to use more special abilities/attacks. Also, I am just theorizing, but it makes sense if angered/enraged creatures are doing more damage.
Sorta on-topic...so here is a true story: an ordinary women shifted an object, which was on the ground, and the object's weight was almost 500KGs [1100lbs]. His child was stucked below the object. The women received serious inner injuries, but she saved the kid. Amazing isn't it?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2009, 03:18:29 pm »

A buddy of mine told me that most people fail the Black Belt Krav Maga test because they get hospitalized.

He works at a Krav Maga teaching facility. He said one of the instructors has a huge knife wound on his face from the knife defense test.

They do live weapons tests. The guns fire rubber bullets, but the knives are real and sharp, apparently.

Anyone who risks their life just to get "trained" is scary to me. That's hardcore right there :D

Kinda stupid, too, if you ask me. Rubber bullets, ok fine, I can see a point to learning to operate under that kind of stress, both before and after being shot. But sharp knives to the face? That's pointless, and risks atleast the loss of an eye, or doing damage to the facial nerves, if not death-and death would be a risk.

All of which would make you less functional in a combat situation, instead of more.

And this is coming from someone who's actually been stabbed, on two occasions (it isn't fun, by the way).
For they would be your masters.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2009, 03:30:57 pm »

That's why Krav Maga people scare me :D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:53:11 pm by praguepride »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2009, 04:04:20 pm »

That's why Krava Maga people scare me :D
Oh good point.

They scare me now, too.  :-\
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2009, 07:25:30 pm »

an ordinary women shifted an object, which was on the ground, and the object's weight was almost 500KGs [1100lbs]. His child was stucked below the object. The women received serious inner injuries, but she saved the kid. Amazing isn't it?

There was also a man who bench pressed a boulder weighing around 5000 pounds. (The Boulder was either going to crush him or hurl him off a cliff... it unfortunately did crush his leg)

The reason the human body doesn't do these things except under extreme duress is because the body is primed to safely use its muscles. The Extreme strength that people exibit is very risky to muscle tissue and can in fact destroy it. It quite litterally is like taking muscles onto overdrive.

it makes sense if angered/enraged creatures are doing more damage

I think your misunderstanding me here... I agree that angered creatures should do more damage (well to a point... Angry people often stop attacking properly). My first statement about WoW's Anger system was sarcastic.

Zink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2009, 10:31:00 pm »

ignoring the weaponry love-feast...
really, abilities can only go three ways-
1. we get stuff we already have in the game like Hamstring or whatever
2. we get a knockoff magic system
3. ability strength becomes too dominant in combat, so instead of proficient wrestler vs ambusher, it's whoever can power up their SUPER SAIYAN DRAGON INSTALL INSTANT KILL SUPER COMBO HYPERFORCE 3 ability first.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2009, 02:26:51 am »

Don't know if this was addressed but "cleave" attacks make absolutely no sense unless you in fact, cleave your opponent in half and the swing carries on to hit the opponent next to him

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2009, 10:41:10 am »

A sliding scale for Enraged and Martial Trance statuses would be nice, but other than that, I see little to add from this topic in the immediate future. There would have to be an overhaul of regular combat first, before we start throwing in stances and martial arts as giving bonuses.

More in this thread.

However, this has brought up good points about certain abilities--like disarming someone, or throwing someone after a thrust. These actions are more complex than "hit enemy with weapon" and might need some training for someone to see as possible, and execute well.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2009, 10:52:48 am »

Maybe just the ability to dictate battle strategies to squads.

Squad A of wrestlers work to disarm opponents
Squad B of swordsmen actually go for the kill.
Squad C of marksmen stay out of melee.

A simple toggle like what currently exists for food/water would be nice, but then again you'd have to actually code in AI logic to make them follow your orders (or not, let's be honest dwarves do what dwarves do)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]