Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave spiders, a non-renewable resource?  (Read 851 times)

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
Cave spiders, a non-renewable resource?
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:37:02 pm »

In my current fortress I was mass producing silk cloth (quite valuable with a legendary weaver).  It appeared that I had an endless supply.  I was making a huge tower cap room and the spiders had left about 400 webs in it close to the river.

When I flooded the room to make mud the webs were washed away, now that it is drained there is not a spider/web to be seen. Have I killed my allotment of spiders for the map?  Its been one game year with no silk.  I do have a few cats too.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Cave spiders, a non-renewable resource?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:40:12 pm »

I don't think vermin (including cave spiders) can be entirely removed from your map...  Since vermin are created/removed on the fly, I don't think it's possible to depopulate an area of them.

However, your cats will certainly try.  Just take a peek around your tower-cap farm and make sure you don't have a bunch of cats patrolling it and leaving behind little dead cave spiders.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:37:21 am »

Since vermin are created/removed on the fly...
That was some sort of a pun right?

Anyway, cave spiders are rather erratic in their behavior. I've had some silk poor periods my self on some Fortresses. They should pop-up again eventually.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:58:56 am »

The vermin is not "removed".
And as long as they have max population in raws I'm pretty sure you can get rid of them totally.
It's hard to do because i.e. a usual rat has a maximum population of 500 which is a quite big number, and as long as you have a lot of different types of vermin it's a lifetime job for the full population of cats to kill every thing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:11:23 pm »

But isn't pop max referring to how many can be in the map at once? Not a lifetime limit?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 03:22:14 pm »

And as long as they have max population in raws I'm pretty sure you can get rid of them totally.

This sounds like the case, the spiders do seem to be gone.

The only thing I want to try is digging out next the the river on a lower z-level, in hopes that the rest of my spider population is waiting for room to spawn.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor