Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Find dwarves by what labor skills they have active and\  (Read 473 times)

Feet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Find dwarves by what labor skills they have active and\
« on: April 16, 2008, 06:14:00 am »

Did a quick search for this and couldn't see anyone suggest it.

When you have alot of dwarves, like 80\100+, it becomes all but impossible to micromanage what labor skills you have active on which dwarves, and which dwarves are proficient or better at which labor skills. For example, if I need something done quickly I don't want a bunch of novices with the skill turned on going and doing it necessarily. I know you can go into the Unit menu (u) and see a list of all dwarves and what their primary profession is, but if I want to dedicate a group of Engravers to just smooth and engrave and not be interrupted by hauling duties or some other thing I'm not going to be able to tell at a glance from that screen.

Being able to find dwarves that have a certain labor skill active, or finding dwarves that have a certain skill level already would make life alot easier I think. Basically a dwarf labor filter is what I'm suggesting.

I think I would like this feature as I like to specialize my dwarves rather than just letting any of them do any job, even hauling.

Cheers.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Find dwarves by what labor skills they have active and\
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:37:28 pm »

Definitely agree.  Sometimes it ridiculous trying to figure out "Now, who has that glassmaking job activated?  Why are my glass items so low quality (1 dwarf with low skill managed to get in on the glass making action, since I didn't have one and designated him to make a few before a better one arrived by immigration)?
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Find dwarves by what labor skills they have active and\
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:30:18 pm »

In the interim, giving your dwarves custom titles and using Dwarf Foreman (check the wiki) work well.

It's what I use when, for instance, I want the good Engravers to engrave my Count's room.  They've all been retitled "Legendary Engravers," (or Stoneworkers).  Using Dwarf Foreman, I turn off the Engraving labor on all the dwarves and enable it on for the Legendaries.  Then, when they're done, I re-enable the labor on the common engravers and stoneworkers.
Patryn of Elvenshae